Converting Midis

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Zweben, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Zweben macrumors member

Zweben

Hey all.

I have 94 midis that I would like to convert to AAC or MP3.

I tried to do this in iTunes, as you used to be able to do it, but in the current version it just gives me errors.

Does anyone know a way to bulk-convert Midi files into MP3 or even Midi > Aiff > MP3? I'd really appreciate it.

PS: I tried to do it in Automator but there isn't anything that lets you export to AIFF in QuickTime, and QT won't convert directly from MIDI > MP3 or AAC.

:( Is there no easy way to do this anymore?

-Zweben

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I'm no expert, but aren't MIDI files just data...no real sound is contained in them?

Therefore, you will never be able to convert a MIDI file into soundwaves....

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unless you play them with software or hardware instruments, and record the audio results to MP3 files...

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Exactly, a Midi file is just a tool, to get sound out of something else, there is no sound in a midi file itself.

5. Zweben thread starter macrumors member

Zweben

There's no sound in them, but the computer knows how to interpret them as sound, so it can make the MIDI notes into an AIFF, using the instruments QuickTime provides.

6. Zweben thread starter macrumors member

Zweben

I tried that app linked to above. None of the files worked.

I forgot to add... these aren't regular midis for some reason. They're QuickTime Mov files with Midi information in them.

I have a feeling this is hopeless.

7. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

You can export the .mov files to .mid using quicktime (latest, not sure if you need pro).

EDIT: I just realized you could simply export the .mov files to AIFF with quicktime, but there's no batch converter.