Converting mov to other formats (avi/wmv to be specific)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by retrovertigo, Apr 15, 2006.

1. retrovertigo Guest

I saved a couple video streams as .mov to my computer using the flip4mac plugin. However, these are .wmv files, using wma2 audio and wmv3 video codecs. Is there an application (gui or command line) that I can use to convert these to their proper file format?
  2. retrovertigo thread starter Guest

I think I should mention that I'm on an intel mac, and was only able to save the file as .mov because I installed Flip4Mac by forcing Apps->Utilities->Installer to run in Rosetta... And I'm also running QuickTime in Rosetta. I know about Flip4Mac's ability to export as .wmv, but I don't know of a way to get it to work on an Intel Mac yet.
  3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I'm not 100% I understand your issue, but ffmpegx can convert pretty much any file type to any other type. You might wanna check it out.
  4. retrovertigo thread starter Guest

Yeah, this was probably pretty confusing. I'll try to explain it better.

I'm on a MacBook Pro, and I used this walkthrough to be able to watch wmv streams on my Mac. It works, so long as any application that uses the Flip4Mac plugin is running in Rosetta. Anyway, I saved a couple streams to .mov using the "Save As Quicktime Movie" option on the Flip4Mac plugin. This saved the file as a .mov file, but the .mov container has wma2 audio and wmv3 video streams inside it. Quicktime for Windows won't play these files, so I want to be able to convert the file so that it either A) uses the .wmv container and Windows computers can view it, or B) convert it altogether to something like a DivX/XviD .avi.

I've downloaded ffmpegx, and I'm trying it right now, thanks for the suggestion.
  5. uchuff macrumors member

Mar 25, 2006
    I appreciate this is an old topic but I have the same problem, was wondering if you had a solution of anyone else had any suggestions?