Converting mp4 to gif

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Fromethius, Jun 26, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Which program would I use to convert an mp4 to a gif?

I exported an mp4 from iMovie, and it is of short duration (13 seconds) and low quality. I would like to convert this to a gif for easier view-ability on the web.

I have found many, rather trashy, applications that would do this on Windows that often involve using trial software and places watermarks on your end result, and I would wish to avoid this.

Are there any good, preferably open source and/or freeware, applications for OS X that can do this? I am running Leopard on an Intel processor.

Many thanks!

2. macrumors G4

GraphicConverter will do the job. It is shareware, but is fully-functional before you pay the shareware fee. This app is so good that you will gladly pay the fee if you can afford it.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I tried that and it wouldn't allow me. Are you sure?

4. thread starter macrumors member

When trying to convert from an mp4 to a gif using Graphic Converter, I receive this erorr:

The file format of the document movie.mp4 is unknown. But it seems to contain a JPEG datastream.

Should GraphicConverter try to decode the datastream (this can maybe result in a crash of the application)?

[Cancel] [Try to decode]

Upon choosing [Try to decode] it just doesn't do anything.

The mp4 is just a regular 13 second clip exported from iMovie.

I did the conversion by going to File -> Convert & Modify...

I then chose the movie in the left box and the folder destination in the right. I hit Go and then received that error I previously mentioned.

Any ideas?

5. macrumors G4

Try opening the video first in GraphicConverter. Then select File>Save a Copy as....

6. thread starter macrumors member

When I try opening the file first, or in general, I get that same error:

The file format of the document movie.mp4 is unknown. But it seems to contain a JPEG datastream.

Should GraphicConverter try to decode the datastream (this can maybe result in a crash of the application)?

[Cancel] [Try to decode]

7. macrumors 68030

apfhex

Can you perhaps export the file from iMovie in a different format, like Motion JPEG?

8. macrumors member

it is a true MP4? For example did someone use a different codec and save it as mp4 when its really a divx or xvid? Just a thought.

9. thread starter macrumors member

I just exported as movie in iMovie. Doesn't that make it a true mp4?