converting mpeg files to dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by umrdad, Apr 5, 2006.

1. umrdad macrumors member

can anyone tell me how or what program(s) needed to convert music videos in mpeg/mpg format to burn to dvd disc? something like the opposite of handbrake

2. PatrickF macrumors 6502

If you want to load them into iMove and/or iDVD you will need to convert these into DV format.

If you have the QuickTime MPEG-2 codec you can play most MPEG-2 files using QuickTime, however, neither iMovie or iDVD support these even with the codec.

Your best bet would be to use MPEG StreamClip from http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html. Load your MPEG file and export to DV.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Roxio Toast is the best bet, but it costs money

4. umrdad thread starter macrumors member

re

i've got toast 6 titanium but haven't figured out how to use it for this purpose can play them from HD w/quicktime but want to be able to play them in different dvd players

5. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Can't you just select DVD-video and drag the files it to the folder? :confused: If it's MPEG-2 Toast should recognise it no problem, and will convert if not.

6. umrdad thread starter macrumors member

NTSC vs PAL

can drag files into toast but when get ready to record says can't have both ntsc and pal on same disc have no idea what's it's talking about and the popup that i inserted a blank disc just keeps popping up regardless of which button i click

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

NTSC is the TV format used in the US and PAL is the TV format used in the UK (amongst other places). They would all play OK on a computer but when you burn to a DVD they need to be in the right format for the TV system you're going to play them on. Sounds like you have some files in each format, so it's reasonable that Toast would tell you it can't have both formats on the same DVD.

8. umrdad thread starter macrumors member

how to tell the difference

how do i tell which files are NTSC and which are PAL? clicking on file info all it shows is mpeg1 muxed and mpeg audio

9. blodwyn macrumors 65816

That I do not know. The only thought I have is to drag 1 file into Toast - should be happy. Now drag another in and see if it says you have a conflict. If it does, drag it out and drag the next in. This way I think you will end up with having the 2 sets identified.