Converting MPG Files From A PC to a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by potomacauctions, Jul 6, 2006.

1. potomacauctions macrumors newbie

I just finished moving a number of my files from my now dead PC to my new iMac. However, I can't open any of the video .mpg files that I created with Pinnacle Studio on my PC. I tried Flip4Mac but they don't have a program that works with the Intel iMACs yet.

Thanks

Jeff

20 inch Intel iMAC 2 GB Ram Mac OS X (10.4.7)

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Have you tried playing them in VLC? It's by far the best media player for OS X. :cool:

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Also, try getting a demo version of FFMPEGX and run your video's through that on the default setting,

That's what I do whenever a quicktime vid won't play right in Quicktime, 99% of the time, the default settings produce a useable quicktime video..

love ffmpegx...

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

iSquint can convert them to mp4 pretty quickly.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If we're talking about conversion from one video format to another, nothing beats VisualHub. :cool:

6. MacMarvin macrumors member

Sounds like they are not mpeg files. That really bugs me when I find movies online that are named .mpg but are actually .wmv files or .avi. You can just rename the file to .avi or .wmv and see if Quicktime opens them. As mentioned, Quicktime will open .wmv if you get Flip4Mac.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

8. potomacauctions thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually was able to read the files by using either VisualHub or iSquint to convert the files.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Great, glad to hear it. I thought that program would come in handy for you. :)