Converting Old Tapes to DVD - Problems with Video/Audio Tracks in DVD Studio Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bocktacular, May 21, 2006.

1. bocktacular macrumors newbie

May 21, 2006
    I am having an issue with video and audio tracks in DVD Studio Pro. Here's my situation:

I am trying convert some old video tapes over to DVD with my video capture device (Miglia AlchemyTV Card). The capturing aspect is never a problem--I can capture into Motion JPEG (MJPEG) format or MPEG-4 and it looks great. I should mention that although compressed in MJPEG or MPEG-4, AlchemyTV saves the files as .mov.

What I am trying to do is move some video around in these clips, so I am using Quicktime Pro to cut a particular scene from the movie and move it to another part... after editing the video in Quicktime, everything is as it should be... the video and the audio tracks stream together... it does what it should be doing.

It's when I import into DVD Studio Pro that I start having problems. I will import my captured, edited movie in, and what happens when I preview is that the video track will show the edits I've made in Quicktime, but my audio track ends up being what it was *before* I edited in Quicktime. Thus, the audio and the video end up not being the same.

I've also tried to edit my movie in a AlchemyTV plugin, which essentially performs the same function as Quicktime Pro, and again the same results. I've tested this in various compression formats.

I got around this problem by making my edits through importing into iMovie, then exporting after my edits were made... this works, but the quality of my video suffered immensely when taking it through iMovie.

It seems like this is an issue with either the way the movie itself is encoded/compressed or the way its put through DVD Studio Pro. I am totally stumped, as I am a kind of newb to DSP.

Can anyone recommend how to resolve this issue?

2. slagonnee macrumors member

Apr 28, 2005
    It's been a while since I actually used DVDSP (probably going back to 1.5) - so someone else probably will have a better answer...

Are you separating the audio from the video track in the .mov before adding them to DVDSP? You might want to save/rename the edited audio track as something else and import them that way.

Since DVDSP will eventually convert the video to MPEG2 anyway, maybe running just the video track through QT Pro (export as MPEG2), then converting the audio track using A-Pack (or whatever equivalent DVDSP has now), then importing them into DVDSP.
  3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    are you saving the edit from QT pro as a self contained movie, this might help. else try imove or Final cut to edit in.
  4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

Mar 7, 2005
    why would iMovie mess up the quality like that?

I'm with Santa, try to save it as a self contained file.