Converting PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by etorres777, Aug 6, 2004.

1. etorres777 macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2004
    El Paso, Texas, U. S. A.
    It's a crazy idea of mine, but I seem to like the Mac somewhat better than PC. Lately, the PC has been giving me too many problems with virus' and stuff. I have an eye on a Mac laptop so i'd like my desktop to be Mac. I've seen this software that lets you switch. They make it sound so easy. Will I run into any problems if I do do it? Will my DVD/CD burner work? Please tell me everything you know.
  2. mac_gal macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    You might be talking about PearPC?

I've never used it, but I've heard it's very slow.
  3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    In order to make your desktop a Mac you'll have to buy an Apple computer. Your question isn't entirely clear to me but it sounds like you might want to just install OS X on your current Windows desktop which you can't do. Sorry if you already knew that but...

What do you mean by your current CD/DVD burner working with "Mac"?

More information will probably be needed.
  4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm sorry but currently, there is no way to run OS X natively on on a windows based computer. It has to do with a lot of factors, but mainly the processor, windows is an x86 based processor, Macs are PPC. (PowerPC)

If you talking about an emulator like PearPC, forget about it. It's waaaayyyyy too slow, unusable. Just don't even think about it.

If you talking about putting skins on XP to make it look like a Mac, that is possible, though I've never done it myself. It will still be XP under the hood, and you will still get virii and spy-ware, and all that garbage.
  5. Aoes macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2004
    heh or there's the poor mans way and just convert the windows shell into looking like OSX... but then that won't stop you from windows errors nor viruses... :rolleyes:
  6. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about because it looks like a lot of people were thinking differently than me when reading your post. Is it that you want to switch from PC by buying a Mac? If so, then that software you might be talking about could be Move2Mac. A low down of all the info about switching over is here.

I hope this helps you... and I didn't just completely misconstrue what you were trying to convey.