Converting saved-as-QT-Movies

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by this is funah, Aug 14, 2006.

1. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

I am trying to upload movies to youtube, but the format that theyre in is not allowing YouTube to convert them to flash. (I am not too experienced with video conversion and such)

I have every single highlight of every single Buffalo Sabres game last season that i got from NHL.com's highlight section. Using FLip4Mac's WMV plugin, i clicked on the drop-down arrow to "Save as Quicktime Movie" and now i have all of these movies on my computer.

These files are technically ".mov" files, but when i get info, it says that theyre using Windows Media 9 Codecs. I believe this is the reason that they cannot be converted using anything. I have tried flattening the files, to no avail. These movies are only viewable with Mac OS X as well.

i have tried multiple video conversion programs (mostly for the ipod), but they dont work at all. I just want to be able to convert these into either a mpg, avi, or anything other than a mov.

thanks ahead for your help.

2. Yuvi macrumors member

Yes, pretty much the only software that can work with Windows Media in .mov is the Mac OS X version of QuickTime. From your description, it sounds like you've bought QuickTime Pro, so you should be able to use the export function in QuickTime Player to convert it to a different format. If it's for YouTube, keeping quality isn't too important, so the iPod preset will probably work fine.

3. this is funah thread starter macrumors 6502

this is funah

Yes i do have QT Pro.

But i have tried saving it as another file, and it wont let me, it's all greyed-out. (i dont remember seeing an export function from the drop-down menu, im at work now).

i just looked at the source and the videos look like asx files, is there anything i can do to convert those if i download them straight from the website?

http://mfile.akamai.com/16532/wmv/n...17/IH_NHL_2005_2006_417_3_700K_continuous.asx

4. Yuvi macrumors member

The export function is in the full QuickTime Player, under the File menu.

Files like that won't convert easily since they're streamed off of the server. It's possible to do, but I'm not aware of any software that does so.

5. this is funah thread starter macrumors 6502

this is funah

yeah the export is greyed-out as well.

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Do you have the free version of flip4mac? I don't think the free one lets you do any conversions. You may have to pay up for a more premium version.

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a