converting scanned page into searchable text

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jelloshotsrule, Dec 10, 2004.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm looking to take scanned pages and convert them into text files (pdfs that i can search)... i've heard that acrobat pro can do it (i've tried the "paper capture" thing, but with no luck...?), and also heard that omnipage pro can do it (i don't have it though)...

anyone have any experience with this, and which app(s) can do it, and how?

thanks!

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Not 100%, but I think you need to first convert it to text via a program like OmniPage Pro adn then you can use Acrobat Pro to create the searchable PDF. As far as i know, Acrobat doesn't do OCR.

3. brap macrumors 68000

ReadIris Pro is pretty good. Better at .tiff files than pdf, though.

30 day demo, IIRC.

4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

If you have any experience with page-layout programs, my suggestion would be this. OmniPage Pro is the best OCR program I have seen and used. It has a feature called "OmniPage Direct input" that no matter what app you happen to be in i.e. Word or InDesign or Quark, all you need do is make a text box then go to the Apple menu and select OmniPage Direct Input. place the document in your scanner and perform the OCR and the text is copy-pasted into the Program you're using. Once formated to your specs then create the PDF from there.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Aren't you talking about the Classic version of OmniPage?

6. brucebrendon macrumors regular

ocrterminal.com

seriously guys, this is pretty tiptop:
    http://www.ocrterminal.com/

there was an image (called 'filename.tif.gif' which is pretty awful) my dad wanted the text out of. i increased the dpi (to 300 from 72) in photoshop, converted to greyscale and tweaked the curves and go an amazing result. 30 conversions a day, FREE!

i was able to send him back a .txt and .doc (with formatting), but could have chose .rtf

5/5