converting scrrenshots to cartoons via photoshop or anything !!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gokhan, May 14, 2005.

1. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

hi

got a very important assignment due on tuesday its based on the film "the killer

can anybody tell me show to capture a screenshot and then convert that image to a cartoon so basicly for a program to draw a black line around all shapes and charcters in that screen capture or picture .

any ideas ???

please )

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In photoshop or GIMP, you can basically use the edge detection filter to get the line drawing version. In Photoshop that's the Find Edges one under Stylize. Depending on the picture, you may have to re-colorize. There's also a glowing edges variant in the same place. Depending on what you want, artistic -> cutout might also work (can produce a look sort of like workers of the world propaganda), and brush strokes -> ink outlines can also give you a cartoony effect. All depends on what you want.

First step is the screen shot. Press Apple-shift-3 and it will save the screen as a png file on the desktop (or .pdf in Panther), and you can then open that up in PS.

3. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks man

thanks man

anychane of a dummies guide to achieveing this in photoshop ?

4. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Plasq's Comic Life ($29 with 30 day trial) has just been updated to make use of CoreImage with comic-ish illustration filters, and the results are absolutely incredible in my opinion. I'd played around with tons of Photoshop Filters in the past to try to get something to look hand-drawn, but this does the job in a single click and turns out just as well. It doesn't exactly look cartoon, more comic, but might be worth a try.
    Drag your picture in, then go to the "Details" tab and select a filter. There's a lot there, so you have to try them all to see which one works best for the photo.
    Might be helpful. A superb app tho.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wasn't super-impressed by the galleries at the website for the product Chameeeleon recommended, but if you just want it for this one purpose, and just for your class, I'd totally recommend that you use that program and not PS or GIMP.

If you want to learn the technique for more use later in an artistic capacity, then learn it in PS or GIMP. If you go that route, as for tutorials, you can find a veritable plethora of them if you google "photoshop cartoon." Bounce till you find one that works for you.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've thought about trying Comic Life a few times since it seems like it could be good fun. With the Core Image filters in there it might be even more fun.

I just can't think of any good ideas to use it with at the moment. Anyone else used it who can give us a review? The idea of being able to use the Comic Life pages in iPhoto books or to publish direct to .mac sounds interesting.

7. Gokhan thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok cool

thanks again my loyal macers

i will try the comic program and post back