Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Any quick converters which do this? I have softsubs mkvs I want into hardsub.

Handbrake messes up the fonts on a few and QuickTime pro with Persian is really slow. An hour compared t 15 mins on handbrake...

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
If handbrake is messing up the fonts, I'm assuming the soft subs are in .ssa/.ass formatting. An option would be to extract these files with MKVextract, use Aegisub to convert the fonts in the file to an installed font on your computer, then use MKVtoolsnix to remux the new subtitles into the original file. It sounds a little tedious, but it only takes a few minutes for each file.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
No matter what it is going to take time because transcoding will be necessary to burn-in the subs.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
If handbrake is messing up the fonts, I'm assuming the soft subs are in .ssa/.ass formatting. An option would be to extract these files with MKVextract, use Aegisub to convert the fonts in the file to an installed font on your computer, then use MKVtoolsnix to remux the new subtitles into the original file. It sounds a little tedious, but it only takes a few minutes for each file.

That sounds like what I want to do apart from that I want to keep the font... I actually reallylike it lol. Could you detail that a bit more step by step? Very interested if it only takes a few minutes.

I would prefer a 1 step procedure. Sedulous my problem is the fonts are getting a few errors on letters p,g,y.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
That sounds like what I want to do apart from that I want to keep the font... I actually reallylike it lol. Could you detail that a bit more step by step? Very interested if it only takes a few minutes.

I would prefer a 1 step procedure. Sedulous my problem is the fonts are getting a few errors on letters p,g,y.

Actually, thinking of it, try this first. You'll need to download the program MKVextract (or iMKVextract if you're on a mac) and open the .mkv in question. If the file is like others with stylized subs, it should have the font files embedded in the mkv. You can tell MKVextract to extract only those files and then install those fonts on your computer. After you do that, I'd give handbrake another shot and see if it correctly hard-encodes the subs. As said by others, the re-encoding step is unavoidable if you want the subtitles hard-burned into the video.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Thank you how did I install the fonts on my mac please though?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.