converting tape (casette) to MP3 file..???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dscan99, Jan 9, 2005.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

I have a bunch of old tapes that I wish to convert to CD eventually.. I know there's a way of converting them to MP3 files and burning onto CD. I have an audio cable (red-white on one end and the headphone jack on the other end). The dude at radioshack said that's all I need to convert and a software program (I use Wiretap).
    Is there a way I can do this on my iBook? If not, please advise on how to go about this on a PC.

thanks for your help... :)

2. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Depending on Inputs

I'm not sure what inputs the iBook has, but I'd assume it has a "sound in" plug, which is the same as a headphone jack (only taking sound in instead of sending it out).

When I converted my tapes over on my PowerBook G3 (Pismo), I used a chord with a headphone jack on both ends, plugged it into the headphone out on the tape player and to the Sound In on the PB.

I originally used the Sound functionality that was built into OS9.2 to do it, but when I finished on OSX, I used "Sound Recorder Mac OSX" (available on Versiontracker) to record them. Depending on how important it was to me to have the individual songs split up for that tape, I then used Quicktime to split the half-hour sound file into individual songs in AAC format.

Just remember - you'll want to keep the covers from the tapes inside the covers of the CD's - just in case the Piracy Police come looking for you.

HTH!

3. northen macrumors member

northen

The iBook G4 doesn't have line-in/mic-in. So you are forced to buy some kind of USB or FireWire audio interface with Mac compatibility.

Personally, I use the M-Audio FireWire Audiophile when I have to record sound/music onto my iBook. It's not cheap, but not expensive either, and it's very low-latency in Core-Audio applications :)

Upon acquiring an interface like that, you can use any sound recorder (Bias Peak or... Sound Recorder) to grab the analog signal and record it :)

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I use the griffin iMic. It is a USB adapter to input audio, it works really well. It comes with some pretty decent software to record from any audio source. I think they are $40.

5. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you... more doubts though!

Thanks for your replies! I do have an 14" iBook which doesn't come with Line-in. I might just put the Mac solution on hold until I get the right adaptor or iMic. But since I have a PC too so I will go that route for now...

My question-

- I educated myself slightly on what these various connectors are. One cord I have has RCA (red/white) on one end and the 1/8" stereo (headphone) on the other end. Does the RCA end go on the stereo or the headphone end? Does it matter? My tape deck has a RCA connector but I believe tha't used only for input for example... to plug in a portable CD player or MP3 player. It doesn't make logical sense to plug the same RCA end on the stereo and the headphone end on the computer. May be I'm wrong...

Hope to get this clarified!!

- Also, How do I know what the line in jack is on my Dell? There are about 4 jacks that look identical... one is stereo speakers, second is microphone, and two others.

Thanks you guys...

:)

6. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Inny's and Outies

You're basically looking to see if it's an in-line or an out-line. As long as sound is coming out of your tape player (for example, the headphone jack) and in to your computer (for example, the mic jack), you should be OK.

My theory with sound stuff - you're not going to break anything. If it fits, plug it in and give it a try. ;)