Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steveoknox24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
The way my college works is we're not allowed to have any file sharing programs that are illegal. As sort of a kind gesture I guess, they give us Napster for free. Napster only works on Windows and thats cool cuz I have Windows and it works fine. However, I cannot convert the music files into iTunes. I can't get them onto the Mac part of my comp and even when I got iTunes for Windows the files couldn't be converted. Does anyone know how I can convert the files or if there's a way to get the files from Napster onto iTunes? The error message says it cannot convert protected WMV (i think thats the file name) files onto iTunes.

Thanks for the help

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I haven't used the current incarnation of Napster, but my impression is that the only way is to burn the Napster files as an audio CD and then reimport them using iTunes. You'll lose some quality that way, but it's about the only to get around the Napster DRM.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
WildCowboy said:
I haven't used the current incarnation of Napster, but my impression is that the only way is to burn the Napster files as an audio CD and then reimport them using iTunes. You'll lose some quality that way, but it's about the only to get around the Napster DRM.

Not really. There are software that take drm away but I dunno if your school allows those software.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
bloodycape said:
Not really. There are software that take drm away but I dunno if your school allows those software.

Well, yes...and we generally shy away from discussing such things here at MacRumors, too.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i'd burn the song to a CD and then import it into iTunes. that's the only way i know how to circumvent the DRM restrictions.

edit: this is exactly what WildCowboy said and its repetition should be attributed to my being tired.

Steveoknox24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks guys i'll have to try to do the CD thing... that could get annoying considering I went crazy downloading as much as I could. I guess you get that way when things are free lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.