Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrometheusG5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Can MP3 or AAC files be converted to MIDI files? My "advanced" GPRS/GSM pone doesn't support MP3 for ringtones (like the Motorola V600 does), just MIDI files. So I would like to convert an MP3 file I have to MIDI.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
You can't convert MP3 to Midi. Are you able to play wav files? You can then convert your MP3 to WAV. If you're using it for a ring you don't have to have the whole song since only 30 seconds or so will probably be played...

You also might try searching the google for "Free Midi" and see what comes up. You can use those for ringtones... that's what I've done.

Bruce Lee, PhD

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
PrometheusG5 said:
Can MP3 or AAC files be converted to MIDI files? My "advanced" GPRS/GSM pone doesn't support MP3 for ringtones (like the Motorola V600 does), just MIDI files. So I would like to convert an MP3 file I have to MIDI.

The short answer is no.

mp3 and aac files are compressed digital audio, whereas MIDI files consist of a sequence of MIDI "messages" (instructions to play a note at a certain volume, for example) which then get sent to a synthesizer for playback. basically the only thing that midi files and audio files have in common is that the result of playing them back is audio. the formats are just different animals entirely. however, it's pretty easy to 'convert' MIDI to digital audio: just record the playback of a midi file. however, creating a midi file based on digital audio is well beyond the state-of-the-art in pattern recognition in all but the simplest of cases. for example, it's possible to create a midi file when the audio file consists of a single instrument playing one note at a time, but even this doesn't work all that well.

for your ringtone, you can probably find midi files for a lot of popular songs, classical music, etc. on the web though.

PrometheusG5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
San Francisco, CA
SilentPanda said:
You can't convert MP3 to Midi. Are you able to play wav files? You can then convert your MP3 to WAV. If you're using it for a ring you don't have to have the whole song since only 30 seconds or so will probably be played...

You also might try searching the google for "Free Midi" and see what comes up. You can use those for ringtones... that's what I've done.

You mean can my phone play WAV files? Hmm, I'd have to check the user manual. It's a Sony Ericsson T637.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Does anyone know of any good Mac midi software for composition with software instruments? I've playing around with Garageband and importing midi files (Dent Du Midi way) but you can't export the tune as a midi file.

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
live4ever said:
Does anyone know of any good Mac midi software for composition with software instruments? I've playing around with Garageband and importing midi files (Dent Du Midi way) but you can't export the tune as a midi file.

Finale is a good app that can do that it gives you the staff and you type in the notes. It also has a thing where you can scan sheet music and it'll convert it.

http://www.finalemusic.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.