Converting to MIDI?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PrometheusG5, Aug 5, 2004.

1. PrometheusG5 macrumors member

Can MP3 or AAC files be converted to MIDI files? My "advanced" GPRS/GSM pone doesn't support MP3 for ringtones (like the Motorola V600 does), just MIDI files. So I would like to convert an MP3 file I have to MIDI.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can't convert MP3 to Midi. Are you able to play wav files? You can then convert your MP3 to WAV. If you're using it for a ring you don't have to have the whole song since only 30 seconds or so will probably be played...

You also might try searching the google for "Free Midi" and see what comes up. You can use those for ringtones... that's what I've done.

3. Bruce Lee, PhD macrumors member

The short answer is no.

mp3 and aac files are compressed digital audio, whereas MIDI files consist of a sequence of MIDI "messages" (instructions to play a note at a certain volume, for example) which then get sent to a synthesizer for playback. basically the only thing that midi files and audio files have in common is that the result of playing them back is audio. the formats are just different animals entirely. however, it's pretty easy to 'convert' MIDI to digital audio: just record the playback of a midi file. however, creating a midi file based on digital audio is well beyond the state-of-the-art in pattern recognition in all but the simplest of cases. for example, it's possible to create a midi file when the audio file consists of a single instrument playing one note at a time, but even this doesn't work all that well.

for your ringtone, you can probably find midi files for a lot of popular songs, classical music, etc. on the web though.

4. PrometheusG5 thread starter macrumors member

You mean can my phone play WAV files? Hmm, I'd have to check the user manual. It's a Sony Ericsson T637.

5. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know of any good Mac midi software for composition with software instruments? I've playing around with Garageband and importing midi files (Dent Du Midi way) but you can't export the tune as a midi file.

6. chv400 macrumors 6502

Finale is a good app that can do that it gives you the staff and you type in the notes. It also has a thing where you can scan sheet music and it'll convert it.

www.finalemusic.com