Converting USB speakers to Analogue

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tuftywhite, Jan 4, 2005.

1. tuftywhite macrumors member

I would be grateful if anybody has any ideas about how I go about converting USB Soundsticks to 3.5mm analogue so they can be used with AirPort Express?

2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I doubt that you can do that mate. The sound sticks are powered speakers (ie they draw both the Power and sound signals from the usb port).

Airport express just spits out sound signals - just like the kind that comes out of an iPod / cd walkman etc. The sound is then amplified by the stereo system that you are plugging it into.

aussie_geek

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

Sounds like it would be possible but not something the average user would care to or know how to attempt. The biggest problem I think would be bypassing the DAC and feeding analog audio to the built in amplifiers. Then, as aussie mentioned, you would still need to power the speakers--conveniently available via a USB port :p

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Nope .. they come with a power brick .. ;)

5. tuftywhite thread starter macrumors member

Speaker conversion

Thanks for all of your input.

They're powered from the mains into the Sub woofer big thingy, that glows.

I just need to be able to plug it into an iPod or AirPort Express, as the short sightedness of Apple means that you cannot use these speakers with the Airport Express, even though it has a USB port on it for printing, you can't use it for sound.

It would be great to be corrected on this, but don't want to lay out £99 to find it doesn't work.

Thanks again.

6. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

The speakers you're discussing (which, admittedly, I have no experience with) probably carry a digital signal into the receving speaker (subwoofer?) where there's a D/A converter that does the conversion.

If you can find that conversion circuit and its output, it may be as simple as splicing in a connector. You may even be able to retain the USB functionality.

I could be absolutely wrong, but the signal *has* to be converted to analog *somewhere.* Try finding that point and working from there.