Converting VHS tape to DVD

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Westside guy, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hi all,

I have a pretty good idea how this works at the software end - but what sort of hardware is needed to get it onto my Powerbook? I'd like to hear your experiences with hardware and particular brands.

I have a VCR that has RCA jacks, not to mention coax. :D

Thanks!

2. awulf macrumors 6502

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

The Formac that awulf mentioned is very good, there is also the DV Bridge from Dazzle (might have changes the name) it's cheaper but it's not as good.

Your other option is to get hold of a digicamcorder with "playthrough", this allows you to plug your VCR into the camera and a firewire cable into your Mac and away you go, OK, you can't control the deck from the HUI like you can with a firewire camera, but it works just as well, plus you get the digicam as a bonus;)

4. brogers macrumors regular

My Dad had old reel to reel footage of his family converted to VHS years ago. He gave me the tape. I copied the contents to my Sony digital camcorder, walked across the room to my iMac and dumped it all into iMovie. I set up a great little DVD with chapters and the whole nine yards and gave him a copy for Christmas. He cried. I cried, everyone cried.

Worked flawlessly.

5. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

Thanks for the replies and advice (oh and the story too). It does sound like a good excuse to buy a digital camcorder - we'll see if my wife agrees. :D

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If the digital camcorder doesn't support passthrough, you can still use it without buying other hardware. Just record the VHS input to a digital tape with the camcorder, then transfer it from the camcorder to the computer in a second pass.

7. Wash!! macrumors 6502

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Slightly off topic, but not quite--

How does one get a Mac to play a VCD? Shouldn't QuickTime Player be able to do this, or do you need the pro version, or a different codec, or what? :confused: