Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9hundred

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
When looking for a device to make transfers, does it make a difference whether it uses Usb or Firewire? Would it make a difference in the transfer speed?

9hundred

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2003
Do most dv camera's allow you to input analog for convertion to digital on the computer?

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Firewire all the way, most DV cameras have a firewire port today, none that i have looked at have a USB port for connecting to computer. Firewire makes for a no loss solution.

claytonbench

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2002
Humboldt, KS
I would recommend the Studio MovieBox DV Version 9 Video Editor i bought it saturday and couldnt be happier. I just use iMovie with it and all is great. Even on a dual 2GHZ I wish the importing of files could be faster but this is no way has to do with the DV box.

yuc7zhd2

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Many miniDV camcorders do have the option to record from an s video or composite video (the yellow one) source. I have a canon ZR60 and it has the ability. You could then transfer the video from the canon to iMovie. I believe, (though I have not yet tested it because I haven't had time for any editing lately) that you could record one of these sources directly (no dv tape, just plug tv into camera, plug camera into firewire) without any tape now with iMovie. The reasoning for this is that the new version of iMovie can record directly from the iSight, so I would assume that you could probably record directly from a DV camera, sans film. At any rate, go miniDV camcorder, you get more versatility out of it because you can use it for more than just video transfer. If you check for prices, you can usually get a really good deal on good products also. I got my ZR60 at Best Buy a few months back for $240 or $299 (can't remember), either way cheap.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Here is the difference between firewire and usb. At max ideal conditions, usb is faster than firewire (just slightly), but the two have different ideal conditions. Usb was created for short bursts of data (mice, keyboards, printers), while firewire was developed for streaming data (hard drives, burners). Either can do the other, just not as good. You see usb do everything, but firewire stays away from mice and stuff for costs reasons.

So if you are tranfering small packets of data (even like 100 1k files), usb is the way to go. But if you are doing anything normal (say bigger than a few k to huge, firewire should be you choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.