Converting VHS to .mov

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kay, Feb 19, 2002.

1. kay macrumors member

Jan 26, 2002
    I have some episodes of a TV show recorded on VHS tapes and I'd like to transfer them to my computer, edit out the commercials, and then export them individually as .mov (QuickTime) files. How can I do this? Is there some FireWire or USB adapter that I can use to connect the VHS video-out to my computer and then use iMovie to import the video etc., or do I need other software?
  2. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    Dazzle makes some nice products. Their software is pretty easy to use, but if you can, use iMovie.

Cheap way: Get a dazzle usb input device (circa $70) from CompUSA or those type of stores and use the software that comes with it.

Best way: Get the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge ($299). It goes in through your firewire port, and gives you firewire, s-video, rca video, and rca stereo audio ins AND outs. You can then use iMovie, FCP, or Premeire to do your editing and importing.

3. kay thread starter macrumors member

Jan 26, 2002
    Thanks for the reply. If I used the cheaper one, the Dazzle software would recognize the VHS tape and be able to extract the video and audio?
  4. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    The Dazzle package is hardware ... and yes it would convert RCA video (from the VCR) to Digital Video (DV) - via Firewire.

there is a Sony solution as well...

however... if you have any need for a Digtial Video Camcorder... you could just spend a little more and get one of those... many of them have RCA->DV conversion capability built in.

So, for $300 you could get a converter-only... but for $600 or so, you could get that and a lowend DV Camcorder.

5. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Big Shoulders
    Global Village

Global Village has a video capture box called Video FX. You can hook your VCR up to it, and plug it into your USB port. I've heard it works well.

The best part is that it's $1.90

($31.90 - $30 mail in rebate)

buy it here: