Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Most of my media is in H264 format (from DVD using HandBrake). Some of my earlier rips are in Xvid format. I have just bought an Apple TV and I was wondering if it is possible to convert Xvid to H264 format so I can watch it on the Apple TV? Does it result in a marked decrease in quality? How do I go about it? I'm (of course) on a Mac.

Thanks,

MadDoc

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
You can use ffmpegX if you like GUI's, or script it with ffmpeg;

This is what I used in the past:
ffmpeg -i <name>.avi -acodec aac -ab 96 -vcodec h264 -b 733kb -mbd 0 -flags +4mv+trell -aic 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -s 480x360 -padtop 4 -padbottom 4 -title <title> <name>.mp4

These options are what I've been using, but there are probably better ones around - on my CD 2Ghz. it takes around 20-30 minutes to convert a tv show.

And then if you have mp4tools you can use mp4track to set the information so that iTunes will recognize it automatically.

Casper

Most of my media is in H264 format (from DVD using HandBrake). Some of my earlier rips are in Xvid format. I have just bought an Apple TV and I was wondering if it is possible to convert Xvid to H264 format so I can watch it on the Apple TV? Does it result in a marked decrease in quality? How do I go about it? I'm (of course) on a Mac.

Thanks,

MadDoc

IdiddidI

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
I used iSquint for this the other day. I set the output for TV and got good results. It is freeware, and pretty fast. It also has a H.264 option, which I assume takes much longer to convert.

http://isquint.org/

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
You don't need to convert the video part the Apple TV can playback mpeg4 part 2 video (XviD) - use something like VisualHub to passthrough the video and re-encode the audio to AAC in a .mp4 container.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.