Convince me to get world of warcraft!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonknox, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Jonknox macrumors member

well tommorow is my pay day and this game looks great but i have some problems keeping me form getting it!

I only have a 14inch NEW ibook? (will it work good)
    I have school and homework?
    having to pay monthly fee? (should be okay but still)
    I always seem to get bored of any game within a month (but this might be diffrent , I habe never played a mmo except beta for wow for 1 month and I liked it)

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

A new 14" iBook will run it just fine. I would, however, recommend a minimum of 512 MB of RAM, with 768 MB or more preferable. You probably won't be able to crank every graphic option up to max, but it should look and perform pretty well on that machine. As for the monthly fee, just pay monthly until you are sure if you want to spring for a longer subscription. The biggest problem you will have is to STOP playing it. Seriously, if you don't have much time to spare, don't get it, it could ruin your life.

3. Ayre macrumors member

If you get WoW, prepare to be enveloped. I've invested hundreds of hours into my main character, as well as dozens of alts this summer -- so I wouldn't reccomend getting it if you're bad at setting your priorities (juggling between homework and playing WoW), do not play this game during the school year.

It will work well enough on your iBook if you keep the settings down. It was playable on my G4 Cube for crying out loud, and until I got my new PB G4, I had gotten used to the 5-10 fps I was getting. WoW is not a twitch game like FPSs usually are, but does require some playability as you get into later levels. Your iBook should be fine.

The monthly fee isn't a problem, because you won't be buying any other games after getting WoW. ;) The only game I've gotten in the past year other than WoW is NCAA Football 06, and that's only because I get that game every year.

If you can't pay the monthly fee, suspend your account until you can. You're not required to pay the monthly fee forever and ever, even if you're not playing. I suspended my account around finals time so that I'd spend less time playing and more time studying.

Seriously though, I was surprised by WoW. I started out in the first few months with a main that never got past level 19, and dozens of alts. I stopped playing for awhile, and when I came back to the game after finals were said and done, my main exploded (relative to my playing habits over the summer) to level 39. My total play time exceeds 200+ hours, so it takes a long time to get anywhere in this game. Before this, the longest amount of time I'd spent on any game was Final Fantasy 8, clocking in at about 50 hours before I got bored of the game.

WoW is amazing, and if you're ready to surrender your free time to it, it's well worth it. Blizzard has created a gem, and is creating more than enough additional content to warrant the 15 bucks per month price tag.

4. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Can anyone tell me how well the game plays on the current 12" Powerbooks w/768 RAM? My roommate just ordered his and bought the game as well. He a switcher and said the game was unplayable on his 2 year old dell laptop. He's hoping it will play well on his new PowerBook once it arrives. Anyone have any details?

5. Decahedron macrumors regular

i really dont mean to knock on anyone here, but WoW only ruins your life if you don't have one to begin with. I've put some hours into it, I've got a 50 main with several ~30 alts, but I never feel like "oh crap, my whole day is gone" nor "oh god i have to play wow omfgz" i truly love the game and think its worth the 15 a month but I never feel obligated or sucked in so far that real life comes second.

6. aspro macrumors 6502

I have that machine, and except for ironforge I seem to get around 25fps in most areas. You have to turn everything to low though, but the game doesnt look much worse in my opinion. But yes, its definately playable.

7. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

yea, I dont think I will ever become like that im Just afriad I would become bored fo it but I guess it si such a huge game That might not happen but i become bored of the best games so fast Im more of a casual gamer but I still like world of warcraft. I probly do have enough time to play it still during school If i play 1 hour at a time like i usually do with games.

8. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

oh yea just to let you know I run with a 512 mb of memory.

9. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Play on frostmane and I will give you 5g...
    (if your alliance heh)

10. mus0r macrumors regular

I have a 1GHz 12" and it plays fine. My g/f uses it to play with me and my friends so she doesn't have to carry her Mini and a screen and keyboard with.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I agree. Myself and some friends at work play WoW, coming from several other MMORPGs where the "grind" just wears on you. WoW is very "casual gamer friendly." We're not power gamers by any stretch of the imagination and we have charcters in their 50s. I'm only able to play twice a week and can easily get a level in that time (even in the 50s) thanks to the rested XP bonus. Add in no death penalty and WoW makes it easy to just casually sit down and have some fun.

For reference, I'm married, have 2 kids, am in school working on my MBA, and travel throughout the region for my full time job. All that and I can still squeeze in some WoW time. "Wow." :)

12. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

and even though you only play twice a weak you think the monthly fee is worth it?

13. PharmD macrumors 6502

I played WoW for about 6 months but didn't like the time committment it requires in the end-game. I was in a big guild that did Molten Core runs and heavy PvP so maybe that's why since MC takes literally 4-6 hours each session. Leveling up to 60 was a blast however and it took me about 12 days played to get to 60. If you are up for that sort of time sink then enjoy it. I just decided I had better things to do (like peruse macrumors forums) and other games with less time commitment to enjoy.

EDIT: Oh yeah, when I played it, I played it on my PC, but occasionally on my 15" powerbook. The framerate was okay I guess but not satisfactory for me. If I tried to go into any graphically intensive area (like major cities or the plaguelands) I chugged along.

14. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

which pharmacy school did u go to????

15. PharmD macrumors 6502

Actually, I'm just starting at the University of Maryland this month. Maybe I should edit my sig so peeps don't ask me for drug advice yet lol. Is AJ your name/nickname, because that's mine too. :D

16. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

well I got it! it runs great so far! Im level 3 and Im gonna play 1 hour a day at least! I am very casual with games this way i Have times to do other things also but I still can bielve im gonna pay a monthly fee maybe I will get over it and If i dont ill just end it before my free month ends!

17. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Class and realm?

18. PharmD macrumors 6502

Well have fun with it. Pretty soon 1 hour will turn into 2, 2 into 3...or can you fight the addiction? It's a great game. My advice is to get a 3 month recurring subscription and you'll save a bit of money.

19. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

20. DaffyDoc macrumors newbie

This is one game I really wanted, but I did not get it, even though it is cool, fun, exciting, great, fantastic, etc. I'm currently in medical school, and I would definetely fail if I got WoW, due to its addictive time-sucking nature. If you are serious about school, I do not recommend getting it.

However, wait until summer break next year and get it for the summer.

21. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

yall all talk about time consumption but seriously i dont find games addicting at all Ill be just fine taking it an hour at a time easily!

but thats cool to!

I am a night elf warrior in greymane I believe!

22. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

nickname...maryland is a good school...i got rejected from Nova in ft. lauderdale, Fl. =( but w/e i got a whole year to work and buy cooler stuff for my mac i guess....how old r u?

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

your gonna get addicted to it... that's all my brother does is play WoW not stop i hear all the noises at 3AM :eek:

24. PharmD macrumors 6502

Sorry that you didn't get in. Way to look on the bright side though. I'm taking out loans for school and have a wife and 3 week old baby to care for. I'll be too poor for Mactels next year lol. Seriously though, all I did was volunteer at a local pharmacy and really worked on my PharmCAS and secondary app essays. Grades too of course but you know that. If you haven't done so already, go to studentdoctor.net. They have a big community of pre-pharm students as well as a database of interview questions and student experiences at various schools. It's was a great aid for me. I am 24 by the way.

25. Jonknox thread starter macrumors member

im not gonna get addicted im not like that!

anyways how can you take a screenshot fo the game? theres no prntscreen button so what do you press?