Convince me to wait on MacBook Pro (or not)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by T-Stex, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. T-Stex macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2006
    Hey guys. I'd placed an order for the MacBook Pro in my sig. on 1/11, because my PowerBook had been going crazy and was going to cost a bunch to fix. I got back to school about three weeks ago, and for the most part the PowerBook has been working just fine, enough that I could live with it.

    My question is essentially, should I cancel the order and wait until April, or summer? I'll get a new laptop sometime in the next few months, so it's not so much a question of if I should get a new one, just when.

    Just want to hear everyone's input on the issue over the next day or so before I cancel. Right now I'm leaning toward cancelling, but every time I read about people getting excited about their MBP's, I get just as excited.
  2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000


    May 30, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Well, I say that if you can live with your malfunctioning powerbook for a while, cancel and order when you can get the $200 off the ipod or whatever in the summer.
    But if you really have the need for speed, let your order go through and bask in the glory of your MacBook
  3. cwedl macrumors 65816


    Jun 5, 2003
    I would wait as well, Wait at least and see if anyone appears to have problems with the new MacBook Pro before buying one.
  4. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

    Jan 16, 2006
    Virginia Beach
    From what I have been reading about the processors, it seems like a good idea to wait. I would either wait for late revision with using Core Duo to try and get the chip with virtualization enabled, or go for Merom in the late summer. I know some of you say that 64-bit processors mean nothing unless you have more than 4 GB of RAM, but I have to disagree. I believe in the next few years, and you might still be using your MB Pro in that time, we will start to see a phase out of apps running on the 32-bit architecture. And it would be very disappointing to me, to know that all my computer specs say I can run it, except that fact its 64-bit only. And Merom is 64-bit, which is due about late summer.
  5. T-Stex thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2006
    Well... it's done

    Well guys... It's cancelled. I called around 4:00 this afternoon and cancelled the order and got refunded on my AppleCare Plan. I'm going to try and keep my PowerBook working until hopefully the end of this semester, and see what's on the horizon as far as the MacBook Pro line is concerned. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a Merom-powered MBP around the time when the back-to-school sale is happening.

    Now, on a side note, I don't know what this means, if anything, but when I got someone from Apple on the phone and told him I wanted to cancel the MacBook Pro order, he kind of paused, and said, "I don't know if we can do that", and asked me to hold. Everyone can draw their own conclusions as to what that means, but it sort of surprised me. I was on hold for about five minutes, and then he came back and said they cancelled it.
  6. mactim macrumors member

    Jul 27, 2005
    32-bit is here to stay!

    I wish people would stop spreading scare stories about the imminent obsolescence of 32-bit. 32-bit will be around for a long time. Merom will be an expensive high-end chip and will not find its way into Mac Minis or iBooks any time soon. And what benefit does 64-bit provide? The ability to address more than 4GB of RAM, clearly not a big benefit for most consumer machines that at this time typically ship with 512MB. 64-bit does bring some modest performance gains on AMD processors, but I have not seen evidence for this on any Intel architecture.
    Finally, just as we expect PPC to be supported for many years to come via Universal Binaries, you will see 64-bit support being *added* to the Universal format (not replacing 32-bit!) for those that have the chip and memory configuration to make use of it.


Share This Page