Convince parents to get it.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Will Curran, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Do you have any suggestions of how I can convince my parents to get whats on my Amazon wishlist.. and do you have any suggestions of if I should take anything off. I'm going to tell my parents that if I get a powerbook... which I really really want.. I will give my PC (very powerful), to my sister to use, or to be used as family computer.. any ideas?

Also it kinda of topic but should I buy the Logitech MX900 instead of one button mouse, I'll be using photoshop alot, thanks.

Plus, if you have any ideas for replacements, like suggestions (if you have any questions for me too, go ahead and ask).

http://amazon.com/gp/registry/2P6SXUAIQ827W

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

What are you going to say if your parents ask if you are willing to accept one of the used items? Your list definitely depends on the amount that your parents are willing to spend. Have your discussed with your parents what type of budget that they have in mind?

3. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

Not really but I've been thinking about getting a refurbised unit from Apple. About the budget it usually depends year to year, but if I tell them about giving the computer to the family it will probably allow them to get the powerbook.

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

You're a student in high school. You don't need a PowerBook. Replace the PowerBook with an iBook, and your parents will probably give it more consideration.

Don't tell me that you need a PB, because you don't. The iBook will suit your needs and is much more affordable.

6. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

i take offence to that. I am a sophomore in high school, and ill soon be buying a 15" powerbook, which i do need. I need the power. I need to be able to quickly compile code, and be able to run 7 or 8 power hungry programs at once. i dont think anyone can decide what kind of computer anyone else needs, because everyone has different usage habits, no matter their age.

7. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

This is also the computer coming with me to college. I will be using it for not just stuff for school but things like Photoshop and Editing software. I don't need it but it'd be easier then buying ANOTHER computer in 4 years.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well I kind of agree. I think of it more like this. This kid probably has a good idea of what kind of things his parents would buy for him. A $999 or $1299 iBook might be better suited. And since you are just 15 it may make more sense to invest that money in a iMac. I doubt you would really need to be taking a laptop to school for any more than bragging rights. That's what I did when I was in 9th grade. I took my PowerBook to class at the end of the year and we would play Wolfenstein and Snood, didn't make the teachers happy.

jon

9. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

I live out of my thinkpad. Every assignment, every project, every appointment goes into it. All my notes. I couldent make it in school without this thing.

10. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

Well.. I wasn't planning to bring it to school really, just bring it with me, and use it for after school, I don't want bragging rights (my school is kinda rich and I know people who bring laptops to school all the time [one kid in my class has a powerbook]), and I want a laptop because of its portablity so I can use it at my mom store, and such. Plus the whole fact that I AM taking this to college, and I'm planning on majoring in something such as video editing, web design or graphic design. I'm needing the powerfor the future, I mean if I wanted a desktop I'd keep my PC, the laptop is the 50% of what I want in the mac not just the os.

Also, I've kind of leaned away from gaming lately, I used to be heavy UT2K3 and UT2K4, but I'm more about hanging out with friends and playing Halo and/or Halo2.. I mean I have a PPC and I play games once and a while, but I mean, thats during free time in class (time to talk to friends) but if a teachers talking games are off limits. I'm doubting I'll be buying any games for my powerbook or ibook...whichever I settle on.

11. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

I mean I AM looking into cheaper solutioned laptops.. but I'm not going with a desktop sorry.

12. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

What does age or grade level have to do with a user's specific needs? Unless you know someone personally, you can't tell them what they need or don't need.

13. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

You guys are forgetting that not every one is in the same financial state as you.. My parents could by a few powerbooks without batting an eye.. while I on the other hand would have to take a pay check cut for a few weeks to pay for it... Maybe Will´s Loaded?

14. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

We just spend wisely. If I got this.. I'd probably only get like.. 3 cds next year.. or 1 depending on if the RIAA makes it higher... When I got my PC for christmas, havent gotten anything really special. Last special thing was a vid camera (ZR60) and it's the family camera.. unless I lock it in my room ^^

15. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I'm sorry If I offended you, but it's the truth.

My computer is a 500mhz G3 iBook that I purchased 3 1/2 years ago. Right now I'm a college senior. I've used this machine for a lot of video editing (FCP 2), graphic design (Photoshop and Illustrator), web design (Dreamweaver MX and Flash MX), plus word processing, email, surfing, music, etc. Do I regret not getting a PowerBook? Sometimes, yes. But an iBook was all I needed for college, and I'm a power user. When I purchased my iBook for $1400, the PowerBook was $2500 and only had a 500mhz G4. I knew it wasn't worth it to pay that price. You can tell me all you want about how you need a PB, but you're not going to convince me.

I can tell you this, my next machine will be a PowerBook.

16. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

i understand where you are coming from, and yes, i may not NEED a powerbook, but i would like one, and think it could be beneficial.

17. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

One of the things I really want is the ability to have it for a LONG time.. I want a machine that I can be using in 4 years and run my programs, and not make me want a new machine, and with a ibook I don't feel that way. I mean .75 ram is alot in expanability (unless you get the 12").. remember I'm NOT using this for just ONLY school now. I use alot of photoshop and video editing software.

understood

18. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

What does age have to do with it? A lot actually. High school kids think they need the best of everything, and they think they know everything. When I was in high school, I knew everything. Funny, once I get into college, I realized I didn't know as much as I thought.

You're right about one thing, I can't tell you what you need withour personally knowing you. I'm just stating my opinion, which I have every right to do. Take it if you like, pass it over if you don't.

19. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

The PowerBook is an excellent machine, and I bet you'll make great use of it. But, ask yourself this question: If you want a $2500 computer now, will you want a new one before you go away to college? Yes, you will, because in a couple years the PB's will have much better features and be much faster. But, will your parents pay another $2500 in a few years, or will they make you keep the PB you have? They'll probably be reluctant to spend that much again. If you get an iBook now, your parents will be more likely to get you the PB you want as a college gift.

Just my opinion. By the way Dan, what kinda work are you going to be running on this PB?

20. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

im paying for this powerbook, and ill pay for the next one

whak kind of work you ask?
    well, im currently learning java, and will be taking advanced java next semester. so ill really appreciate x code. i constantly have firefox, irc, multi client im, news agregator, media player, and word processor open. I will also be playing games, and most likley doing some kind of CAD(im not sure what cad options are avaliable for mac yet, im quite partial to autocad.) I will also be using photoshop.

21. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

The question is now..

Will the 1.33ghz processor in the iBook last me
    and screen real estate..

I'm looking at the 14" iBook and if I upgrade the HDD and add bluetooth it's cheaper, but is it as great as the powerbook. I mean the lite up apple and keyboard was really cool. I mean I'm really looking at it....just a question about the 12" PB with superdrive, would that be worth it to get the ram to 512 and upgrade the hdd (or get a huge external like I would be later).. I guess its down to the extra 100, and screen real estate.. is it worth it for 100 more to get the 12" superdrive PB with 512, and 60gb hdd vs the 14.1" superdrive ibook with 512mb, 80gb hdd and bluetooth add-on.

22. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

youre right

23. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Tell your parents to get you a $999 iBook. Sell it before you go to college, and get the G5 Powerbook. Buying a powerbook now is a waste. The iBook isn't THAT much slower than the powerbook, and its like 1000 less.

24. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Get the 12" iBook, you will be happier with it. Screen resolution is the same, the 14" is just "bigger" and flimsier. You can always hook up another screen to it. make sure to get bluetooth.

25. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

youre right too... i mean i would have never thought about that if you guys didnt post.. I'm too obsessed with the PC modding (the thing I WAS into) and having that 3ghz processor.. im so ignorant

i need/want the superdrive for video editing..