Convincing Someone On Buying a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdl8422, Feb 2, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2006
    I am an huge mac fan, I use apple everyday and will never use a PC. I had a friend who wants to buy a good used mac. He wants a higher end G4 (Dual 1.4ish) or a 1.6-1.8 G5. He asked the question "what justifies me paying 1000$ for a 1.6Ghz computer when he can get a 1.6Ghz PC computer for a fourth of the price". Now I know it is like apple and oranges but I couldn't give him an answer.. So my question is what can I tell him to convince him. Other than the usual no virus and the mac osx vs. windows answers what can i tell him.. I guess more of a technical answer.
  2. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild

Actually he asked the right question, a 1.6ghz G4 or G5 is overpriced at that kind of price. You can get a Core Duo for around 3/4 of that!

IMO switching has to be a genuine commitment towards the platform, all the old excuses are moot anyway, macs are just as suceptible to viruses (biggest exploit is usually the blob of hydrocarbons between the keyboard and the seat), and with Windows Vista and UAC most users even find that feature annoying. Gosh imagine how a switcher would feel if they switched and found that the Mac equivalent of UAC cannot even be disabled!

Last but not least Macs can't run 90% of the world's applications...

At best you should just show him what you can and can't do with your Mac, and how it works better. But rather than being pushy about it, it should all be left up to him.

Depending on the choice he made you can always go "Nyah nyah! I told you so!" after :)
  3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    For that price you could get a decent refurbished iMac... :confused:
  4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    the processors are completely different. the instruction set is not even comparable. Just like in the CD vs C2D chips, the same clock speeds can have different real world speeds, just from the way the transistors are connected.

If he's looking for a G5 PowerMac, tell him to get a dual processor/core model. They are still fast, and not hugely expensive. They are 64 bit so they will take advantage of the 64 bit features in Leopard.
  5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2006

If this is true, how come you cannot come up with an answer?
  6. Maynerd macrumors regular

Jan 4, 2007
    That is not a good buy. Direct your friend to another model. That is my only suggestion to you.
  7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    if you want him to buy a mac, show him os x. if he likes it, he might consider the switch. otherwise, i wouldn't force it upon him. and as others have suggested, $1k can get you a nice refurb imac or macbook. no g4/g5 necessary.
  8. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I have a nice 17" PB that he can get from me for under $850 :D

However, the OP has missed a very good point to use on his friend. Yes that Mac may be "old" at 1.6Ghz, and it may be more expensive than a roughly equivalent PC, but it is a testament to how well Macs hold their value. After a few years he is not left with a steaming heap of crap (PC) but something that still has enough value that can be used to upgrade to the newest model.
  9. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Well considering the Mac is more expensive to start with all that can be said is you are basically just recovering the cost of OS X and iLife when you resell the machine.

The "good resale" argument evaporates when it comes to Intel Macs, they depreciate way faster than any Mac the world has seen before.
  10. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    i can't thnk of any reason for u to convince him to buy a dying generation of mac at a price of a good powerful pc, its not what u want him to do, its what's good for him.

stop brag about how good old mac holds its value, everybody know in 4 years, the ppc mac will have no future, what's the point?