Conyers Report on Possible Bush Crimes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Well worth the time to read. From Congressman John Conyers D-MI, ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee:
    The Constitution in Crisis

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I looked it over (and will try to read it in more detail later). For those who click on the link: don't be put off by the fact that it's 26 pages long. Twelve of those are merely citations.

While I applaud the report (from what I've read), what I want to know is: will this result in any action? Maybe, if the Democrats take control this fall. But I'm not counting on it.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I caught a glimpse too, looks like a thorough summary.

I sure hope people realise how important this fall's election is.

The Cowboys have circled their wagons pretty close together.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'm only to page 6 and this is horrific. Everything laid out in black & white. This is a damning condemnation of the current administration. Will it be released in August when all of Congress is on vacation?

If this changes anything, I am sad to say, I will be very much surprised. The administration controls all the cards and the press doesn't have the balls or the objectivity to take this on.....

Maybe the BBC might be able to do something.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have said it before but the Republican ran Govt gave this President free reign to do anything he wanted. Anything, all he had to say is National Security this, National security that, blah blah blah. Heck he got us in Iraq over what is now known as Spin & Lies. He has sold Fear hand over fist and Congress hasnt done their oversite job. I say Fire every Incumbant Senator in the Senate. The Nation has to send a message to these .....scumbags that infest our govt. Then we need to eliminate all corporate lobbiest. The constitution is under attack by all of Congress and this president the way I see it. Then we need to repeal the Patriot Act and undo everything this president has touched. He has taken us back into the Neocon 50s & 60s.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

a good read. and a well-written conclusion.

has anyone heard a peep from the MSM about this?

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Unfortunately, no matter how well written this document is, and it IS, it still doesn't say WHY. WHY go through all of this? What is this administration's agenda with this?

That's what I really want to know.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What do you think.

10. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I agree, what is the motivation. When will this report be released officially and to whom. These are serious charges, how is this document going to be used?

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Expanding the powers of the executive branch. These guys are all True Believers in the Unitary Executive Theory.

9/11 was just an excuse to 'go big' with the power grab. Many in this crowd cut their political teeth in the Nixon days. They've wanted this and believed in this for decades. Signing statements saying they can ignore portions of law, running secret CIA prisons, sanctioning torture, spying on Americans without a warrant... all that is part of this belief that the president can do whatever they want in a time of war - despite an actual declaration of war, and despite the system of checks and balances that they are working to destroy.

And the sad part is that these guys will end up weakening the office of the president by their actions just as surely as they have ended up projecting an image of American military weakness to the Arab world instead of the image of 'the strong horse' that Bush and crew were going for.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You mean strong ass dont you Mactastic? Because thats how the world looks at us and this president.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

They are only believers when one of them is in the WH though. Could you imagine the outrage from the right if Clinton had tried even 1/4 of this ****?

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Okay, that's a start, but what's the entire agenda? Money? Could be. But from where? No longer are we in the days where war boosts the economy. Far from it. So where is this money coming from?

Oil? Well, we sure a shell aren't getting any more than we were, and the price has more than doubled since 9/11 for a gallon of gas.

Moving the USA into a Totalitarian run country? Could be, after all, if a nationwide catastrophe happens, Bush does have the ability to stay in office until (which it never will be) resolved.

So why?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, 'the strong horse' is a reference to a this bin Laden quote.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The defense industry has been amazingly profitable of late.

I didn't say their agenda hasn't run into a few problems. They thought the oil would be flowing, and there is that large pipeline in Afghanistan being built, as well as plans for more in Iraq if the war hadn't gone sour on them. Remember, they didn't think we'd still be fighting now when they went in.

The extreme interpretation of the Unitary Executive theory would achieve much of that goal with or without Bush in power.

So why?[/QUOTE]

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the full report has been released. over 350 pages, apparently.

the title: "The Constitution in Crisis; The Downing Street Minutes and Deception, Manipulation, Torture, Retribution, and Coverups in the Iraq War, and Illegal Domestic Surveillance"

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, here's our answer:
    the fourth estate has utterly failed our democracy. for the past 30 years or so, i mean. but this is a shining example.

19. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Here's a rebuttal article; however, it also suggests that impeachment proceedings are a distinct possibility:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YjVjM2M2N2U3ZjJlNTRiZmYzZjJkYzJiN2RlZGQyYjY

Here's the closing paragraph:

Reading Conyers’s various statements on the Huffington Post, where he is a regular contributor, it’s clear that Conyers believes his case against George W. Bush has not received enough attention. And indeed, “The Constitution in Crisis” has been overlooked by many major press outlets. It shouldn’t be. The point is not the legitimacy, or lack of legitimacy, of Conyers’s charges. It is the fact that Conyers might be just a few months away from the chairmanship of the House Judiciary Committee. If he wins that seat, and he moves toward impeachment — and how could he not, if he believes the president broke not one, not two, not three, but 26 laws and regulations? — observers who haven’t been paying attention might express surprise or call such action precipitous. To that, Conyers can answer, correctly, that no one should be surprised. After all, he’s been making the case for a long time, whether or not anyone was listening.

The fact that Conyer is a contributor to Huffington Post is disturbing. I used to read the headlines periodically, but their recent depiction of Lieberman and Clinton in "black-face" has really caused me to question their viewpoints. Nonetheless, this is an interesting read.

20. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

To me, being an ignorant 20 yearold, I call for a revolution. The government is crap... All this Bush crap we are dealing with... Did the world like us before Bush?

I rememeber learning government in middle school and being told that the (was it the senators) could just vote for a pay increase... That to me screams like we need a change... Perhaps I'm wrong on that...

21. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Yes and no. I can't speak about the whole world. In the Middle East, America was not considered a friend. Lots of reasons, meddling in their affairs, sponsoring revolutions, arms dealing, friendly to Israel, etc. But throughout most of Western Europe, Americans were generally liked (except for the "ugly American" stereotype). After 9/11, a great deal of sympathy existed for the US, even in the Middle East. But now, we are tolerated, but generally disliked. I don't think we would be welcomed in most of Europe (except the UK, they're in the same boat as us). It's sad, but that's the way it is.

22. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

That sucks... Is it also because there are so many people that are just loud and obnoxious? I thought that was a big stereotype for us

23. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I'm not sure. Americans are generally believed to be self-centered and boorish. When I was flying home to the US from Paris, I saw this woman dressed in a pink fur coat. She and her husband were from Texas, she made this quite plain. While she was in the ladies room, my wife overheard her ranting that they citizens of France had the audacity to speak to her in French instead of English. Didn't they KNOW she was American?? Anyway, this loud woman was stunned to find out that she was limited to 2 carry-on bags. She had 10-15 shopping bags. Again, TEN to FIFTEEN shopping bags. She was arguing on and on with the gate personnel, not understanding why she couldn't bring all her stuff with her. In the end, when we finally boarded the plane, roughly 30-40% of the storage compartments in Coach Class were filled with her crap.

Disgraceful.

When I travel, I have rarely had a problem. Why? Because I know that I am a guest in a foreign land, and I need to abide by their rules and culture. I did not find the French or Parisians to be rude, quite the opposite. Of course, I was always courteous and I tried to speak French whenever possible. I've learned that if you treat people with respect, you usually get the same in return. But I know I am not the typical American - most Americans have never left the country!

24. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hahah you think thats bad come live in TEXAS I put up with that every day...

No question for you I heard it was a big no no to try to speak french unless you really could because the french got very offended that we would try when we can't?

Well in all fairness many have left the country, if you count Can Cun:cool: (not I though) But I wish I could go to a different country...