Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tim_cook_headshot_glasses-250x286.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook is speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference today, with the session kicking off at 3:30 PM Eastern / 12:30 PM Pacific. Cook's presentation is being broadcast on Apple's website and MacRumors will be updating this post to summarize Cook's comments.

Cook has spoken at the annual conference a number of times over the years, although he did not appear in 2014. While Cook has not made any major announcements at the venue in the past, he has at times offered an interesting perspective into Apple's business, so it generally worth paying attention to his comments.

Cook will almost certainly be asked about Apple's blockbuster iPhone sales and earnings in the last quarter, the company's strategy for managing cash and capital return to investors, company philosophy and more, and he is generally fairly open and thoughtful in sharing his ideas on many topics. The company's future product plans are not, however, something he has shown willing to discuss, maintaining a long tradition of secrecy for the company.

Welcome everyone. And welcome to you too, Tim. You joined Apple in 1998, became CEO in 2011. Going over financial and sales stats since Cook became CEO. Not a bad start, right?

Thanks everyone, and thanks Goldman for having us here. Cook giving "safe harbor" statement about forward-looking comments to satisfy regulators.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Speaking Live at 2015 Goldman Sachs Technology Conference

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Let me save you guys sometimes for the usual anti-apple-watch rants:

- Battery is terrible
- No water resistant in Apple watch
- The watch is too thick
- Please stop everything else and work on wifi bugs.
- Please stop everything else and work on bluetooth fixing bugs.
- Please stop everything else and work on bugs that I care about.
- Things that really important to me so it must be important to everyone else.
- etc.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
If I sit for too long, it will actually tap me on the wrist to remind me to get up and remove. Because a lot of doctors think sitting is the new cancer. So ten minutes before the hour, it will remind you to move.

Wow never knew about this feature, this alone could make me want to wear the watch.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
He must have said what investors want to hear... the stock is at an all time high! Sweet. :D

I do think Apple Pay is a golden egg in the long run. Banks, retailers and consumers win with this one.

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Variety and customizability are amazing. There are ways to interact you never thought of. I use Siri all the time. Most men carry phones in their front pocket, so you can imagine how distracting it is in a meeting to fish out your phone when you need it. But with the watch it's much more subtle. Super excited about third-party apps. Just like with App Store, everybody will have their own special apps. I use Apple Watch constantly in the gym to track my exercise. If I sit for too long, it will actually tap me on the wrist to remind me to get up and remove. Because a lot of doctors think sitting is the new cancer. So ten minutes before the hour, it will remind you to move. We have a lot of people using the Apple Watch and Apple, and ten minutes before the hour, suddenly they all get up and move. It took a little to get used, but it's great.

So his biggest selling points are: easier way to avoid paying attention in meetings, and great way to be tapped on the wrist 10 minutes before every hour.

Epic. Fail.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
By and large, cash we don't need, with some level of buffer, we want to give back. So we're not hoarders
yes you are.

financially Apple is a hoarder. you're sitting on hundred+ BILLION in cash reserves.

that looks pretty hoardy to me.

Considering, with 130 billion in "cash". Apple could afford to pay 2.1 Billion people $60,000 and that would only be their cash reserves. Not even their cash flow / Profitability

Last edited:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
So his biggest selling points are: easier way to avoid paying attention in meetings, and great way to be tapped on the wrist 10 minutes before every hour.

Epic. Fail.

Do you know how many times I've seen someone say "Epic fail" about a new Apple product and the product ends up being a massive success?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Do you know how many times I've seen someone say "Epic fail" about a new Apple product and the product ends up being a massive success?

Agreed. In the same vein, do you know how many times a comment has included the words "epic fail" and and actually offered something even moderately worthwhile or insightful? Zero.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
We at Apple now climate change is real. The time for talk is past

This is never an acceptable position. The environmental discussion has been filled with discredited reporting. Over zealous data gathering. Cherry picking. When do you not welcome discussion? When do you think you have all the facts and further debate in the light of new discovery is something that gets no attention anymore because "the time for talk is past". It is never past for anyone who seeks the truth and not an agenda.

A big story breaking this week is that temperate data has been falsified and adjusted for the past 60 years of data. It's being referred to as the biggest science scandal ever. Data has been adjusted to support the global warming narrative.

We also see a government that seeks to FURTHER consolidate power in its hands through the use of environmental regulations to seize land and to over regulate citizens. The environment and the whole global warming issue is a governmental abuse of power and is being used as a tool. It's a backdoor manipulation tool. Who needs laws when you can just grant the EPA regulatory authority and then point them in the direction of your enemies for some shakedown. No need to make things illegal when you can just regulate it of existence. Thats the government we want right? Where you don't have a set of rules but just a bunch of thugs with power who pick and choose.

No Mr. Cook, the time for talk is not over.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

Perhaps this correlation is causal. ;) Maybe IbisDoc is an Apple employee with a very specific task.

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
Considering, with 130 billion in "cash". Apple could afford to pay 2.1 Billion people $60,000 and that would only be their cash reserves.

Ya want $60,000? Get a job! Apple earned the $130b, it is theirs to decide what to do with.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Ya want $60,000? Get a job! Apple earned the $130b, it is theirs to decide what to do with.

i'm not saying they should give it. I'ts called context. when you see "130Billion" it's sometimes hard to realize just how much bloody money that is.

in this case, it's enough to pay 2+ million people $60,000.

SO, for Tim Cook to say "we don't hoard", while sitting on this absolutely world changing mass amount of cash is disingenuous at best, and an outright lie at worst

Apple can easily afford to have dividend returns increased. Pay their fair share of taxes (instead of moving money off shore), or even better yet, paying their store front personnel better than minimum wage and nickle and diming their hours (forcing them to wait in line for example for 15-20 minutes for bag checks while not getting paid)

Simply put: If you're an investor of Apple its fantastic! if you're not an apple Investor, Apple's monetary policy is disastrous to everyone else. it means we're paying insane margins on things where insane margins don't have to exist. they're keeping money OUT of your local economies by keeping it overseas to avoid paying what is believed their fair share of taxes.

SO yea

They're hoarders. And the worst kind. The kind who doesn't believe they have a problem

I'm curious to see in April what mr Cook has planned for the 100+ billion sitting idle

Rocketman

macrumors 603
http://investor.firstsolar.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=895716

article said:
The 2,900-acre California Flats Solar Project occupies 3 percent of a property owned by Hearst Corporation in Cholame, Calif. Construction is expected to begin in mid-2015, and to be completed by the end of 2016. The output of the remaining 150MW of the project will be sold to Pacific Gas & Electric under a separate long-term PPA, and the project is fully subscribed between the Apple and PG&E PPAs.
Rocketman

cite:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chol...,+San+Luis+Obispo+County,+California&t=h&z=13

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apple has devices people want, programming languages easy to write for. IBM doesn't have that.

Apple's languages:
Obj-C
AppleScript
Swift

IBM's languages:
Fortran
Jython (If you want to call Obj-C Apple's, I think it's fair to call Jython IBM's. Each language existed before the company got involved, but would have died in obscurity without the support of the company.)

Eh. Neither company has a great list of languages they've made... personally from those 5, Jython is the best. But normal Python is better.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
they are in it for the big 'grant' money lol

cause all scientists (and people) are money driven greedy people willing to lie just for a grant?

go to the actual scientific community (you wont find it in the states) and you will see that a LOT of people doing real science in the world are doing so out of the love of discovery, not to load their pocketbooks

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
This is never an acceptable position. The environmental discussion has been filled with discredited reporting. Over zealous data gathering. Cherry picking. When do you not welcome discussion? When do you think you have all the facts and further debate in the light of new discovery is something that gets no attention anymore because "the time for talk is past". It is never past for anyone who seeks the truth and not an agenda. A big story breaking this week is that temperate data has been falsified and adjusted for the past 60 years of data. It's being referred to as the biggest science scandal ever. Data has been adjusted to support the global warming narrative. We also see a government that seeks to FURTHER consolidate power in its hands through the use of environmental regulations to seize land and to over regulate citizens. The environment and the whole global warming issue is a governmental abuse of power and is being used as a tool. It's a backdoor manipulation tool. Who needs laws when you can just grant the EPA regulatory authority and then point them in the direction of your enemies for some shakedown. No need to make things illegal when you can just regulate it of existence. Thats the government we want right? Where you don't have a set of rules but just a bunch of thugs with power who pick and choose. No Mr. Cook, the time for talk is not over.

Shouldn't you be over at Fox News?

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
Considering, with 130 billion in "cash". Apple could afford to pay 2.1 Billion people $60,000 and that would only be their cash reserves. Not even their cash flow / Profitability

Did you skip maths at school?

2,100,000,000 x 60,000 = 126,000,000,000,000

Did you mean 2.1million?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.