Cooking Lady Died

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CubaTBird, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Wow, you didn't even mention her name... that's really sad. (Your thread title, I mean.)
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I just heard the news on the radio, very sad news. At 91 Julia Child lived a long productive life. Dying in one's sleep is certainly the easy way. There will certainly be an overwhelming number of great memories for all cooks.

My prayers go out to her family and friends. May she rest in peace.

She is "The Cooking Lady!"
  3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I know it's not nice to speak ill of the dead, but Julia Child perpetuated the image that cooking was easy and fun by presenting a show in which NONE of the pre-prep and clean-up was on-screen. I guess I could cook amazing stuff too if I had a dozen crew members to hand me little bowls of already-diced onions and wash all the mixing bowls.

I wish the lady herself well, wherever she's gone--I'm not saying she wasn't most likely a lovely person--but the whole cooking show thing pisses me off. More so when Martha Stewart did it, because she made the whole house and garden look that deceptively easy. :mad:
  4. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    I believe today was her birthday as I read it in the newspaper under "celebrity birthdays". I guess her death wasn't reported by press time.
  5. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    Santa Barbara, CA
    On the MSNBC page linked to in this thread (and as stated when I saw it on the NBC news earlier tonight) her birthday is this Sunday, not today. She would have been 92.
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    In real life, she and her husband Paul Child did do the prep and clean up (off camera of course) themselves for many years, though she did have a real crew later on.

I did get to meet her a few times, because she was an advisor to the culinary department of a college where I worked years ago, always interesting and fuinny as anything.
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I can imagine that to be the case. She has impressed me as being really down to Earth. I believe that he did a lot of her photography work. She has been a real role model for generations.