Cool 3d Desktop environment

Discussion in 'Community' started by mattroberts, Sep 24, 2004.

1. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

Not sure if anyone has stumbled on to this yet.

someone using XDarwin is experimenting with a type of 3d desktop environment. Just thought people might find it interesting. There are some really neat looking pictures could this be the possible future of expose?

http://insitu.lri.fr/~chapuis/metisse/screenshots/

cheers
    m

2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I know this is an old thread, but DARN that's cool! I don't know why, but I'm really into the who 3D GUI thing. It's just...cool :D !

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, we've already got rotating desktops in Panther. And that third photo kind of resembles a multi-person iChat videoconference in Tiger.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Obviously, this one still looks like it's a little rough on the edges, but nevertheless, very cool! And all things considered, it looks to be a pretty darn good implementation, if the screen shots say anything. Thanks for pointing this out.

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

yeah someday a sudo 3d desktop will come to mac, mb path finder will do it, just as an extra and make it.. but i doubt that apple would implement it in such as that. truth is that GUI of os x has always been 3d just not implemented like that.

6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'm not really sure what advantage a 3-D desktop like this implementation, or Sun's Project Looking Glass, really has. Sure, it looks cool, but what does it really allow you to accomplish that the standard 2-D layered window paradigm doesn't? Does it really offer any significant gain in the power or ease-of-use of the interface?

I mean, sure, turning a window around and writing notes on the back in Looking Glass is neat and all, but does it offer all THAT much functional advantage over pulling up the Get Info window and adding a comment? Yeah, you can turn the windows on their sides, but does that really help window management, or just require you to spend more time figuring out which little sliver is which reduced window?

I think these ideas could lead to some promising innovations, I really do...I'm just a bit disappointed that I haven't really seen one yet.

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

ooh that looks quit cool, but what is the point when expose is so great already? the 3d effect will ony ltake up processing power and isnt really neaded!