Cool Airport tips?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mim, Aug 18, 2003.

1. mim macrumors 6502

I wondering if anyone has some cool or unusal Airport setups?

I'm going to get a base station and a few cheap old iMacs (after the new PB comes in..heh..) and play around myself, but someone out there has probably done everything I can dream of and more.

I'd want all the common stuff - remote iTunes & iPhoto library for the PB, remote printing (remote scanning?). Does anyone have any comments about how well this runs?

What about applescripts to pass bluetoothed controls across the network to a non-bluetooth machine? Anyone got the basestation plugged into a *BSD firewall box?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My AE setup is pretty standard, just the cable modem and the AE base station. I can report that the printing feature works wonderfully, just as long as your printer is on the supported list. Get one that is Rendezvous capable so you don't have to do anything to install it.

What I'm wondering is, will the USB connection on the AE ever be able to handle things other than the printer? I would love to have my USB hub connected to that thing, so I never had to worry about mouse/keyboard/palmpilot/scanner etc being plugged in to my PB.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've got a Graphite BS with an external antenna (and no modem any more) plugged into a switch with a Firewall box and my PC (Firewall is Win 2k: soon to be Linux).

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That would be awesome to network with a hub connected to an external HD for online networked HDs, CD burner, etc.

5. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

I wonder how hard it would be to develop software that would translate USB signals over airport so that the USB port on the BS would be just like the one on your computer. I'd love to have my scanner off my desk and that would definately do the trick.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

or a usb2.0 port with a usb2.0 hard drive hooked up to create a shared network drive

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've always thought it would be nice to be able to send video to a second monitor through the bs as well, so maybe a DVI port. Maybe even a FW800 port to really get crazy. Might be nice for it to send/recieve/boost bluetooth signals as well as long as I'm dreaming. Then give me a fuel cell laptop, and i'll never need a cable to my laptop again!:D

8. mim thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the comments all - these are exactly the kind of things that I was wondering were possible. And seeing everyone else is wondering too, I'm guessing they're still pipe-dreams.

The remote video/diplay is a big one on my wish list. I want it!

9. doctorhook macrumors member

Become a WiFi Hotspot

If you have a broadband connection why not get a booster antenna and provide wireless access to those close to you. There are even ways to make money off of it. Google for WiFi.

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-doctorhook

For about US$4, you can cobble together a few parts from radio shack and an old Pringles can and create a killer directional antenna. I know a few guys who can get somewhere around 1200 meters range with theirs.

They go to the park down the block and surf. The trick is this antenna so collumates the signal (ergo turning breadth into range) that these guys have to aim the antenna at the bench, or spot on the grass ahead of time.

11. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Is there a link for that patrick..thats sounds great!....

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

:eek: :eek: That would be really sick...now if you had a link...:D

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

14. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Right now I'm finding the IP's for several printers around campus so I can print wirelessly at my uni. :D Can't imagine that this is sanctioned behavior, but I don't plan on abusing it.

15. doctorhook macrumors member

A Cantenna pigtail problem

If you get around to doing this be advised that if you are going to use an ABX for this you will end up at something like:
    http://www.fab-corp.com/ for a pigtail to go from your new high powered anrenna to the Airport base. Take careful note that this is not the proprietary Apple plug but a right-angle version that has it's own difficulties if you don't want to void your warranty and open the unit to attach.

doctorhook

16. mim thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: A Cantenna pigtail problem

doctorhook:

Can you elaborate on this?

I though the AXB had a standard antenna point? Is it actually some custom Apple jobby?

Is there a part that you've done the job with?

cheers,
    a.

17. doctorhook macrumors member

Custom Apple jobby

Yup, it's a "custom Apple jobby" or "proprietary", as they say. My information is that the FCC makes Apple use a connector that is "not commonly available" to deter people like us who don't want to pay bug bucks to achieve the range that Apple should have built into the thing. The reception on my XBS is sketchy and that seems unacceptable for what they cost. Anyway the MCX connectors you will find out there are right angle and will not just plug into the Xtreme base station. If anyone knows where you can get an "official" one doctorhook is all ears.