cool art..

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by djsound, Aug 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

djsound

I just saw this online and was wondering how something like this would be made. I couldn't figure it out....any ideas? attached.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

Hexiii

It's kind of easy..

A blured background which is cropped into some shape and then few triangles across.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Something like that hehe....I think it's a bit more in depth then that but close..

4. macrumors 6502a

1. Create a clipping mask of the overall shape of (it looks like) a galaxy or nebula image in Illustrator.
    2. Make some triangles and distribute them accordingly. Change the color and blending mode on some of them.

5. macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

Ding!

Sounds right to me.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Well since the triangle shapes perfectly form the outer "nebula" shape, I don't think there was any mask involved. I think the triangles were just placed until that shape was formed. The part that I don't understand is has a gradient kind of feel overall. You could do the manually as the last guy said with blending modes etc. but it seems to me that it has a gradient overall applied...or something.

7. macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

There are about 3 million different ways to do the same thing in Illustrator. I think 12dylan34 laid out a very simple two-step plan. You could reverse the steps and do the triangles first, then make the mask based on those triangles. Then it's just a matter of setting transparency and blend modes.

I don't think this artwork is as complicated as it seems. It's very nice, but not that hard.