Cool bike...

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 29, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not very practical though. I recently started cycling to work 2 days a week (Bow to St Pauls in London if anyone wants to ask). I can't imagine using anything with wheels that small, only 1 brake, 1 gear. Dear gods no.

Perhaps full suspension and hydraulic disk brakes are not required but they do make it a bit more comfortable.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Some how I don't think they're supposed to be :rolleyes: ;) It's more of a statement, or fashion accessory than a serious bike.

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

heh-heh, exactly.... it's like when those micro-scooters started cropping up around Soho and all the New Media Luvvies were using them..... then the rest of the country caught up a year later and luvvies found some other piece of cool kit!

I'm expecting to be run over by one of these ridden by a luvvie later today on Wardour Street..... :p :p :p

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

definitely made to look cool...I like it...but would never use it...

now a clown bike... :D

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Being 6' 8", I would need a bike with larger wheels, frame, and a higher seat!

7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Looks like it came out of the 70's! A friend's big brother had a yellow and black chopper bicycle with a steering wheel on it.

They look better on their own than with a rider. Prepare to be amused in 15 years if you think you look cool riding one of these now...

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    exactly what i was gonna say...we were chopping our sting-rays back then. i think the longest we got a front fork was 8 feet before it collapsed.

still, it looks cool...all you need is a "keep on truckin" crumb t-shirt.

btw, igav...tuesday nite i saw lalo shifrin do his first jazz club date in 40 years...a great time.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

but this could be a clown bike....you put the smallest clown on something like this and give the biggest guy one of those minis :D

Not exactly what I'd choose to pedal around or be seen on. I've seen worse, though.

Give me my Shwinn Sting Ray with the Banana seat....ah, nostalgia! :D

http://www.epinions.com/otdr-review-66A6-1C488ED-37B3B016-bd2 (mine was a deep blue/black almost - even got run over by the Goodhumor guy!)

D

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

are u serious?! :eek:

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Thats nothing! They make Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Bikes now. I read about them in popular science. Now THAT is cool.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Quite so eyelikeart, I'm 80" tall!

The velour pedal covers mentioned by Mr. Anderson, a liite bit of luxury. It is just the thing for the rider that likes to go barefoot while riding a bicycle! :p

14. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

[​IMG]

I've raced people in these before, they're incredibly fun, but hard to stop.

15. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

How cool, I bet that was just an incredible experience... :)

He's one of the artists I'd love to see live, especially in a Jazz club, but sadly I just don't think I'll ever get to see him play.... and certainly not in a Jazz club... :(

There's quite afew bands in London that play his stuff, but it's like going to see a tribute band... good music... but it's not as good as the real thing!!

Did he play any of the Dirty Harry stuff?? (my fav Lalo work)

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That's kinda like buying a really nice car....its not all that practical but its more the image of the car then how well it works....

17. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    he didn't play any of his movie stuff...except one rather bland tune from "bringing down the house"...i was hoping he would do at least some of his well-known stuff. but it was still an amazing experience...his band consisted of harvey mason on drums, brian bromberg on upright bass and james morrison( an aussie) on trumpet, t-bone and flugalhorn. the level of musicianship in his band was truly drop-dead astounding...lalo was certainly no bill evans or oscar peterson but he was really enjoying himself. it was clear from his storytelling that he was a very gentle/humble guy.

it was an inspiring night.

18. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Nice design tho I'm a downhill rider and that bike wouldn't last a second on the trails that I ride.

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

PHAT!!

whoa, phat with a 'ph'! :D

they had bikes like these at a local bike shop about a year ago, but probably because the shop was in a bad suburb these bikes never really took off.

are you guys serious that these will get popular?! :eek: :p :D