Cool Dock Customization

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniej, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I do not know if this is brand new, but it was just recently featured on MacBreak. It is called TransparentDock and it allows you to change the dock's background, inner and outer boarder, and several other animation features. It gave me the ability to pick anyone of about 15 colors and then allowed me to set the opacity. I like that you are able to specify the color of the boarder independently of the background. Best buying tip of all, it was free. Here's are two screenshots 1. a pic with my current desktop, which is cool because it allows the dock to look completely transparent, which was the second dock style I almost went with, but still allows me to have the context when placed against a different backdrop; 2. with a white background for context because as you can see from my first shot the desktop is black. Anyway, enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I was only previously aware of ClearDock offering some of this functionality, but wasn't aware of this app. Thanks for the head's up, I'll check it out and maybe play around a bit with it myself. :cool:

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Not to burst anyones bubble but http://www.freerangemac.com/TransparentDock2.html is shareware and has been around for a few years but is not yet compatible with Intel Macs.

Not sure if the one featured in MB is the same as this is the first time I've ever heard of them :)

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Transparent Dock has been around for years, its what i used on my PowerBook. However having recently switched to intel macs i've changed to Clear Dock which does the same thing plus more.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, okay, good to know, obviously I'll just stick with ClearDock then. This must be why I never heard of Transparent Dock before - because it doesn't work with Intel Macs and appears to be inferior to ClearDock. :cool:

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Don't you have to install Unsanity's APE though?

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

So what is the difference between this and cleardock?

8. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

and does cleardock work for ppc as well? I am about to check, but if it is only "clear' as the name suggests, then it is not the same as I am using because the point was that I could switch to many different colors, which I really enjoy.

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Its not just clear. It has background customization, clear background, and outline background. The only thing I could see was different minimize features or what ever... But Onyx did that for me. That is why I am asking if it is alot different or whatever

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I downloaded it and now cannot find where the heck the application went... all i get when i spotlight it is some .ape file?

11. lapalapalapa5 macrumors newbie

do you have a link to your background image?
    its awesome!

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Is Cleardock freeware?

I like the effect but it does seem frivolous to pay for a small app that does only this :rolleyes:

13. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Yes. and you can color the dock using cleardock.....

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

System prefences

15. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

thanks.

I tried cleardocks and like transparent icon much more. I find it more intuitive and pleasant to use.

16. Synapple macrumors regular

I second this request.
    It's really nice... care to share?