Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
I just figured this out by accident, but it's probably old news to most of you. If you hold the Apple Key, then push tab, it brings up all of your open apps in a transparent window. By pushing tab again, you can switch the app that's highlighted. When you release the apple button, the selected app comes to the foreground. This is a handy feature.

Apple always goes above and beyond so mush that a year after switching I still find new features on a weekly basis!

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
oh yeah, if you hold shift while pressing tab, the highlight goes in the other direction. Cool!

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I know it now looks a lot more like the windows version, but I much prefer the new (panther) implementation of this graphic. The old (jaguar) way of highlighting the dock icons just wasnt quite right. Plus this graphic just looks better and better the bigger your screen :D

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
You don't even have to command-shift-tab to go backwards. command-tab will bring up the window, once there another command-tab will move you forward, but a command-` will take you back one. Nifty huh?

Oh and in many applications command-` will scroll you through your open windows.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by mactastic
But Expose is much nicer....

Definitely. Especially when you do Exposé while holding down the Shift key. Awesome. Makes all my PC buddies jealous!!!

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Originally posted by jrv3034
Definitely. Especially when you do Exposé while holding down the Shift key. Awesome. Makes all my PC buddies jealous!!!

The shift key trick is just such a pure eye candy indulgence, I cant see one practical use for it. That's why I love it so much ^_^

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Originally posted by mactastic
You don't even have to command-shift-tab to go backwards. command-tab will bring up the window, once there another command-tab will move you forward, but a command-` will take you back one. Nifty huh?

Oh and in many applications command-` will scroll you through your open windows.

nice one mactastic!! :D sure is alot easier than 'Shift' :)

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by cb911
nice one mactastic!! :D sure is alot easier than 'Shift' :)

I totally found that out by accident when I missed the tab key while app-switching! Lol, serendipity. But that means some programmer thought of it and added it in for us. Good deal.

And I still Command-Tab through apps a lot even with Expose. It's much faster when I'm typing, or when I'm using my laptop without the mouse and I don't feel like going to the trackpad to hit the right 'hot corner'.

;) Makes you wonder what else is in the OS just waiting to be discovered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.