Cool G4 mock up

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by iN8, Jun 18, 2002.

1. iN8 macrumors regular

I'd be happy with this!

[​IMG]

mockup by AtariST at spymac.

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Sweet pic man. I like the dual, front Fw ports. It seems almost too real for our little rumor site.

~Bust

3. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

d00d that looks so schweet.. i want one ::drool::!

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I want that exact machine with the three hot swap bays, and dual optical drives.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's a cool pic.

a bit too fake. but not terrible looking. i like the idea of the metal g4s for sure....

6. vitruvius macrumors regular

hey, thats fine!

maybe the speaker should look like the ones in the TiBook, and it is too symetrical for my taste!

7. g3ski macrumors member

very cool tower

Beautiful design, the FW ports are slick....big improvement over the current tower which already is sweet.

Front accessible FW is a MUST.....also add front USB to that.

Two optical drives as an option is also a MUST - why are we stuck with zip (or a tape drive) in the 2nd bay, what were they thinking :mad:

Get the built-in superdrive to read and burn DVDs. Add a 40X/12X/48X CD-RW for $75 and not be stuck with the slow burn speeds of the superdrive. Then also be able to copy a disk whenever you need to.

BTW, I hope they have the superdrive 2 out in time for July, I haven't seen much news on the progress tho.

8. TypeR389 macrumors member

Close, but isn't this better?

[​IMG]

I apologize to anyone that actually claims to know photoshop, but this was the first thing I thought of when I saw this. Also, said graphic element borrowed from Hemingray...

Machintosh G4-9000...

Dave, would you like it if I sang a song?

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Daisy, oh Daisy.... :p

But the original mock-up doesn't look bad... I like it how the drives have the little green lights on them like the Xserve...

I wouldn't mind if that was what was being introduced at MWNY... but I wouldn't mind a little more either...

irmongoose

10. iGav macrumors G3

I quite like it...... I'm definitely up for some hot metal though........ :D

11. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

I like this one better...

I perfer this one by some other dude on Spymac....really tight vision for the case design.

[​IMG]

12. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Like the first one..but it looks sorta like some PC's around these days...some more form would be nice..

13. iN8 thread starter macrumors regular

your being sarcastic right?

would you really be happy with another warmed over G4 (El Capitan) box which is three generations old?(B&W G3, Graphite G4, Quiksilver)

Don't get me wrong, I love the G4 box, it's the best ever done. But I am ready for Apple to replace it on my list with something even better.

14. iN8 thread starter macrumors regular

HeHe, your funny!

15. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

The eject button on the disk drive looks nice! What we don't see is a right mouse button? :D

k.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This image was discussed at length in the private section, and I went ahead and made it look more like the original XServe style. It was too clean, the gradients were too smooth, so after a little playing around in photoshop (less than 15 minutes) I came up with this.

Attached Files:

• g4.jpg
      g4.jpg
      File size:
      84.3 KB
      Views:
  17. iN8 thread starter macrumors regular

You say you came up with this. Isn't it the same case. It just looks like you adjusted the levels and hue in Photoshop. Am I wrong?

18. g3ski macrumors member

Another el capitan case....

If only they had made that revision when they brought out quicksilver.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No much more than hue and levels. I took the original and made it look more like metal, more like a photo by adding some noise, using rendered clouds for dispersion and adding that as a color. The original was way too smooth, I made it look more like a photo, more like the XServe, which it lacked. This was because of the discussion on whether it was real or not. A smaller image had been found somewhere else and it took a while before someone else came along to show the original. Then I worked a little photoshop on it to make it look more believable, that's all.

20. iGav macrumors G3

Re: your being sarcastic right?

I'm with you on this one...... Apple really needs to replace the case........ the current design is getting really long in the tooth now....... :(

But we need something alittle more original than a reworked Xserve for a case..... I have complete faith in Ives to come up with something super cool and innovative!! ;)

21. Draft macrumors 6502

I believe that the biggest problem with my G4 case is that I can't add a second CD drive. That drives me crazy. They put a second damn opening right there, too! But, low-and-behold, you can't use that bay for anything but zip drives. Weak. This is true, right?

Draft

22. g3ski macrumors member

you are right - no 2nd optical in G4 case

:mad: The 2nd optical won't fit b/c of the way they layed out the components on the swinging door. I heard of someone trying to do a mod to make it fit, but it was a lot of work - there just isn't enough room left over in the case.

23. Draft macrumors 6502

That has to be the weakest thing on these cases.

Draft

24. Macette macrumors 6502

it makes me sick to say this, but i quite like the way some of the new try-hard designer pcs are putting their optical drives vertical and slot-loading, rather than with big ugly trays. i reckon the G5 - and summer G4? - will go for that. that way the case can be slimmer and prettier. i hate the clunky tray in my B&W G3. I WANT SLOT LOADING.

and i'm kind of attached to the snow look too - it would match my ibook and ipod...

xx

25. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: Close, but isn't this better?

LOL, I love it! You can guess I'd buy one... :D