Cool Gmail Widget

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mhasman, Jun 29, 2005.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Nice.. how often does it check for new messages? I've tried a gmail checker before, but it was never up to date, so I just manually checked instead.

2. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Um, it's a neat idea, but what's the difference between running a Widget as a background process and just letting your email client (Eudora, Mail, Thunderbird, whoever) simply check mail every 5 minutes or so and notify you that you have new mail? It's not like GMail won't let you use POP3...

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, I just can't find the use for Widgets in general: i.e. if I want to know something in Wikipedia, I go to the Web site and look it up; if I want to use a calculator, I use the calculator app; if I want to know where my FedEx package is, I go to the Web site and look it up; and do I really need to know where the sunlit Earth is at any given moment? I know they're supposed to save time and all, but does 20 more seconds per operation really add up? The only Widget I'm running is the SyStat, which I find more compatible with OS X than MenuMeters.

Ho-hum. A GMail Widget is cool, I suppose... But the part I like best is QE2 - if I could only get Eudora to look like that in my toolbar...

3. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I pay enough TAX to THAT woman! I'm not having her HEAD invade my computer. Down with the monarchy boo!! boo!!

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

I agree that just having another app check your mail periodically is just about as functional as this, though I could see some circumstances in which it could be useful.

That said...

Yes, it does. Using a widget for something you do only once in a while is a waste, but if it's something you do a dozen times a day, popping up Dashboard (particularly if you've got it mapped to a mouse button like I do) takes less time and mouse movement than launching Calculator.app, going to Weather.com to see what the temperature or 7 day forecast is, or opening Dictionary.app to look up a word, and most importantly it adds no screen clutter in the process.

It's not that any of it is necessary, it's just more efficient, and anything that saves time and repetitive strain is good. It also reduces dock clutter since you don't need Calculator or Dictionary in there anymore.

5. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    LOL - that made my day! I suppose the royal family are mostly leaching off of taxpayer money. I suppose I'd feel the same way if it were Bush's head, or the Bechtel logo, or, I dunno, Bill Gates.

6. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

There are somany cool Gmail widgets but how do you sign up for Gmail there isnt a create an account button on the sign in page.

7. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

ya cant mate! Invite only pal! :eek:

8. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

well, this is good for people that dont use gmail and mail.app

for a while i was doing this (i had to keep on switching computers, so storing mail locally was a no-no) and i loved this..saves you having to visit the website every couple of hours..

every widget has it's use.. :)

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Oh... Darn
    :(

10. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey dude, if you want a gmail invite..lemme know, i'll send you one.

just need ur name and email address :)

edit: oops, was meant to pm this msg..well, just pm ur info if you want one ..:)

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I feel stupid asking this but how do you pm a message?

12. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Tell ya wot mate, just cos its Saturday tomorrow, message me ur email I'll send u an invite ok? :D

13. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

jackamick@sbcglobal.net

15. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

SENT!!!!!!!!

p.s. Dont suppose anyone has an invite to oink? the music place??

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Thanks for the offers. Oh and its easy to tell but my names in my email. (Jack Amick)