Cool Job Fair Freebies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by grapes911, Feb 7, 2007.

1. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My company is trying to think of something to give away at a job fair for college students. Everyone gives pens or pencils. I've seen a few other cool things like key chains and bookmarks. Let's be honest, sometimes you have to attract students before you can get them to talk. Does anyone have any cool ideas? We are on a budget so nothing extreme, but we are willing to spend money for this. Thanks.

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

heh....that was my first thought as well. i've seen some pretty cool ones, and who needs bottle openers more than college kids? ;)

anything more than pens is probably going to be out of budget....how much are you willing to spend per head, and how many items will you need? i have some books lying around in my office with this type of stuff...if i have an idea of what you'll be spending per item, maybe i can come back with some ideas.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

bottles of beer :rolleyes: or free food!!!!!!!

if food, you got the time it takes them to eat it to talk to them

when i went to the BETT show last year they had free bacon sarnie's and that made me have a look at the booth

5. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That is a good idea. We are going to look into it now. You don't think it sends the wrong message, do you?

We are not cheap, so we'll spend the money. I meant things like iPod cases or mice are out of the question. We probably will purchase a lot (100s??) so we won't have to order for other job fairs.

The fair supplies snacks, water, and soda. We probably couldn't do much more. Plus, we were just talking and we'd probably like something we could put our name on.

6. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i didn't think you were cheap, i just had to clarify what was budget-friendly. :D

perhaps little memo pads or those little suqeezy stress balls would be a good idea? i'm trying to think of things that students would use (besides the bottle opener, obviously!) and things they wouldn't just use once and then toss.

and i don't think the bottle opener sends the wrong message, really...i just don't know if it's 100% appropriate for a college job fair. the only thing i ever use a bottle opener for is beer! ;) it might be just me, but i don't see what else it would be used for!

7. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Memo pads were pretty common last year, so we don't want to go that direction. I love those stress balls. My roommates and I used them all the time to relieve stress. We never squeezed them, rather we beat the heck out of each other with them. Ah, good times, good times.

Our company logo is a keyhole and we just found a bottle opener shaped like a key. We may have found our winner.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Personally no, and I think that putting your logo on something that is going to be frequently used is the way to go. But there may be people in your company who get all puritanical about it. You know your co-workers best. Do you think any of them would have a problem?

9. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

sounds like that might work out very very well, as long as everyone is alright with it. :)

if that's what you end up going with, you'll have to let us know how they go over. hopefully they'll win you some recruits. ;)

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Or a Golf GTI?

;)

11. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

We do drink a lot so I doubt anyone would complain. :eek: :p
    Seriously though, everyone liked the idea. We just have to get the bosses on board, but I'm sure they'll jump at the idea.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have to do stuff like this all the time; put our branding onto all sorts of giveaway crap and stuff for goody bags. In fact, sitting right in front of me is a catalogue of merchandise from one of our suppliers.

Post-it notes, confectionery, fortune cookies, water bottles, chocolate coins, beer mats and coasters, corkscrews, glassware, trophies, coffee mugs, pens and pencils, highlighters, pads, notebooks, slinkies!

<intake of breath>

Fridge magnets, fuzzies to go on the top of pencils, pennants, frisbees, yo-yos, snow domes, balloons, silicone bracelets, pencil cases, soft toys, bags, lanyards, pen knives, key rings, folders, flashlights, ice scrapers, rulers, tape measures, footballs, soccer balls, sunglasses, lip balm, sports bottles, thermos flasks, CD holders, USB sticks...

Golf balls, golf tees, umbrellas, t-shirts, caps, polo shirts, jackets, ties, scarfs, mousemats, juggling balls, stress toys, key rings, calculators, clocks, watches, executive toys, calendars, diaries...

:D

13. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The fair is still a few weeks away, but I'll keep you updated. I hope this goes over well. It's funny because it seems materialistic to have to give stuff away to get people interested, but I guess that's life. In college I always hit the best giveaways first. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

14. Queso macrumors G4

I also like these two if the bottle opener is a no-go :)

15. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Thanks for the list. Many good ideas.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

items that I have seem an the Engineering Job fair at my school that people like are

Flash drives--Yes some companies do bring those and we snatch them right up and love them.
    Mechanical pencils are another good item.
    Stress balls
    Electric fans
    A 6in long METAL triangle rule. I love those because they are useful and very study. Not the normal cheap plastic items.
    Oh and Engineering Paper. Us engineers love engineering paper and can never get enough of it.

Things that I think are crap..
    Pencils (I have not use them in year and most college students no longer use them)
    Cheap Pens that just go right in the garbage where they belong.

Lastly what type of job fair are you going to and what is it gear after because that can kind of direct the type of items that you should bring. The ones I listed are all engineering items that well engineers love.

17. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's a general job fair, but we are mostly looking for Computer Scientists or related fields for software development.

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Have a give-away for a couple of Shuffles. You'll get lots of interest then.

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

20. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

21. Lau Guest

I think I know the supplier you mean as well. :p I was giggling at one of their many catalogues on Monday. :D

22. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Don't know how cheaply you could get them made, but a USB thumb drive with your company's name on it could go over huge. Otherwise, um, plastic cups? College students always need more cups.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

hmm then a lot of my engineering stuff I list would work pretty well. Think about goodies the people you want to attract would want and that just small electric do-dads. CS people have a very engineering way of thinking and even if it just a general job fair the only people you should care about attracting are the ones the one that you would want to higher so just think about stuff those type of people would like.

24. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

USB drives are really good item

I got one at a conference and whenever I need to order more supplies I just look at the USB key the company gave me and call them instead of looking for another supplier

Shot glasses made from glass are a good one too.

mouse pads are useful since people will be looking at logo all the time

Caffeine chewing gum was a favorite at the last career fair with the company logo on them...

25. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

The cool one that i saw one yea was small 8MB USB drives. They came with more information on the company and are useful to college students when transpoting work. 8MB drives are quite cheap too, especially if you buy in bulk.