cool little expose/dashboard trick I just figured out...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Oct 6, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

Most of you might just look at me and go "...umm... Duh?", but im fascinated by this new trick...

If you press the F9 key to go into expose, it does expose... but if you hold down the f9 key for a few seconds, then let go, it will go back to normal without having to hit the key again. same for dashboard, if you hold down f12, dashboard comes up, but when you let go it goes away.... i hope that makes sense...

found this to be quite cool, and I never knew about it until I accidently stumbled upon it recently :cool:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

That's actually par for the course with Apple's rather clever way of accomodating both the "click and release" crowd and the old-school "hold it down" crowd--the menus act the same way, and have since "click-and-lock" menus were introduced in OS8. Click and release, the menu stays down. Hold the button down, and it selects the item as soon as you let go.

3. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Well I didn't realise it did that so thanks for pointing it out! Kinda useful I guess :)

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Great bit of Apple software design right there. You can also hold down Shift while pressing F9, F10, F11, F12, minimising and maximising windows to get a 'slow-mo' effect.

5. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

and if you hold down the buttons, it does the same thing as mentioned in my post :p