Cool Panther Tricks

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by BWhaler, Oct 25, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

BWhaler

OK, I got tired of the endless bug and problems threads, so let's share some cool tricks you've found in Panther to share knowledge and a little sunshine.

Here's some cool things I've found:

1. When you are command tabbing, you can click 'H' to hide the app selected or 'M' to minimize it.
    2. With command tab held down, you can mouse click on an app to go to it. (great when you have dozens of apps open.)
    3. Closing the System Preferences window now shuts down the Sys Pref "app." no more quitting afterwards in a second step.

What little gems have you found?

2. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's pretty nifty, thanks for sharing that. :)

3. macrumors 68020

I haven't had any, but this morning, bleary-eyed at 6AM, the office called and I had to connect to the VPN, open terminal, open RDC, open a Java app, open Mail, pretty soon there are windows all over the screen, and I said to myself, let me try this F9 thing. It worked great! What a terrific feature!

4. macrumors regular

Hold shift down while exposé-ing and watch the effect in slow-mo.

check out all these hints at macosxhints.com

5. macrumors newbie

Also when Alt-Tabbing you can hit Q to quit the selected application. VERY useful if you have 20 or so open and need to close some. Apple put thought into this OS (not that they didn't in other ones).

6. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

This (and hitting H for hide), both work in Jaguar, but it does show that Apple was putting thought into the OS.

7. macrumors newbie

Finder Recordable

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but the Finder is now recordable in the Applescript editor. It wasn't in Jaguar.

8. macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Very Cool App Switcher

Hit command-tab and your application icons show up in the middle of the screen. you can tab over to whichever one you like. Very nifty.

9. macrumors 65816

whocares

Re: Very Cool App Switcher

Throw in a shift key and it tabs backwards. Again handy if loads of apps open.

-BWhaler
    Great thread idea, should be a sticky. Arn?

10. macrumors newbie

Here's a good one, once you get used to using it: In any facet of OS X that uses the text system, you can press Option-Esc and if you have something typed in it will auto-complete and give you a drop down list of choices that are matched:
    a) based on what you've typed so far into that document and
    b) based on the dictionary

So for instance if i type in "Opt" right now and hit the key combo Option-Esc will be at the top even though it's not in the dictionary because i used that earlier in this post. :cool:

11. macrumors 65816

Re: Cool Panther Tricks

didn't apple make a big fuss when 10.0.0 was launched that all apps will now have to be quitted instead of just closed? it seems a bit contradictory

12. macrumors newbie

Since the Feature or Bug thread has been given notice, I'll post these here. Some of these have been covered on other sites, so please excuse any duplication:

When in Exposé one can cycle through the available windows by pressing Tab. Very nifty. Just wish it would work with the application windown choice in Exposé a bit more consistently.

No need any longer for Command-Shift-Tab to go backwards in the pop-up menu. Just use Command-` (the key just above Tab). Much easier.

In a new Finder windown, double-clicking the bar that separates the side-bar from the rest will collapse the side bar completely.

13. macrumors 6502

encro

or the F5 key.

14. macrumors 65816

whocares

That don't work on a French keyboard iBook :mad:

15. macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

The shift key effect on animations has been taken away from Finder windows when opening or closing. The nice thing is it works with Expose (keyboard only, not hotcorners), changing between system preferences, and still minimizing. :cool:

16. macrumors 6502

Hey this is a cool tip. But how is this useful? So I get this list of words by pressing option + esc (or F5), what good is it if I can't insert these words into what I'm typing? repeat things such as long tricky last names would be nice to auto insert but how? What am I missing. I've tried enter, return, arrow key, copy and paste, double click.

17. macrumors newbie

TAB ;)

18. macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Very Cool App Switcher

lol that is tight!!!!!!

19. macrumors 65816

alset

Re: Re: Cool Panther Tricks

Actually, that's how is was in OS 9, too.

Dan

20. macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

I need to reiterate what someone said because it appears to have gone unnoticed, but the command-tab tricks to switch programs, quit, or hide apps were all available in the past. The only thing that's changes is that there is a bigger graphical representation in the middle of the screen instead of just looking at the dock. Windows has this too I believe. Glad it's on OS X now too.

21. macrumors 6502

Tab didn't work. :(

22. macrumors 65816

alset

osxhints.com has posted a "pre-dawn" edition of new hints. There are several not mentioned here. Check it out!

Dan