Cool software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JW8725, Jul 2, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I fancy downloading and installing something cool. What do you recommend and why?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How's this for cool...

Download a virus and watch as it doesn't work. :D

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

In all seriousness *cough* mad_jew *cough* I would suggest Synergy and Adium. Synergy is a app that puts iTunes controls in your menu bar. I find it very convinient and well worth the $6.13 that it costs. Adium is Mac's answer to Trillian, except better. It is highly cusotmizable and is free. Both can be found at Version Tracker...

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

5. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys! That reckless driving is cool time for a new "name your cool mac game thread" me finks!!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, I'll give being serious a go. What sort of app are you after?

7. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i was after personal recomendations. Doesnt have to be a particular app for a particular thing. Chances are if one person finds it cool another will also. Afterall the cool people use macs right?

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Meteorologist to get weather info in your Apple menu.

Taboo to prevent Safari from quitting when you have more than one tab open and hit cmd-q when you meant to hit cmd-w.

AcidSearch to extend Safari's toolbar search field to whatever searches you want.

TextWrangler or SubEthaEdit, two very nice, free text editors with color syntaxing.

9. dcv macrumors G3

This sounds useful as I've been wondering if it's possible to change the google search to use the .co.uk site instead of .com

Does it work with Tiger? It says it only works with Panther but perhaps they haven't updated the website yet.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Works just fine. I actually didn't install it until after I upgraded to Tiger (since Firefox was my preferred browser under Panther).

An added bonus is that AcidSearch lets you enable a "Find As You Type" search for current pages too... :)

It's quite easy to add more searches. I use some of these every day (but a few is just for the h*** of it ;)):

Attached Files:

11. dcv macrumors G3

Thanks for the info, will go and download it now.

I've also downloaded Taboo but not installed it yet. I'm also more used to Firefox (recently switched from Windows) and was hoping there was a way of enabling warnings when closing windows/tabs in Safari. Thanks for pointing this out :)