Cool stuff on OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Quboid, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Quboid macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2006
    I am proud to be the owner of the most advanced OS in the world. But i would like to feel it a bit more. I know that macosx is powerfull, but i don't unlock all the power(i dont think so).

Can anyone helo me out here? I want some tips on "how to do" cool things with my mac. Anything, from applescripts , automator, networks, disks, linux ,absolutly anything.

I'm sure there are other people who would like that.:)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The key to OSX's brilliance is its intuitiveness in my opinion. I find the best way to find out about the new OS is simply to reads around some of the threads here and to try some stuff out for myself. Ignore how you did things with previous operating systems (such as Windows) and try doing things how you think they should be done. It really is an OS that is very well set up for the end user.
  3. valdore macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2007
    Kansas City, Missouri. USA
    Do you have an apple store nearby? Their workshops might help you out in terms of learning about the OS.
  4. valdore macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2007
    Kansas City, Missouri. USA
    Yeah, and hence the reason transitioning to mac was far easier than I first feared. It took years to figure out the ins and outs of Windoze. For mac, one kind of has to deprogram one's self and proceed from there.
  5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    Since Explore, Workshops and old threads have already been mentioned, I'll finish it off by suggesting you find a book that suits your interests.
  6. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    The way to figure out how to do cool stuff, in addition to reading, is to figure out which cool stuff would fill a need you have, and then dig around or ask.

I figured out how to do a bunch of things that way. Example:

Q: How do I play a movie as a screensaver?
    A: Open up Quartz Composer, drag your video file in, add a billboard element, and connect the movie to the billboard. Adjust width to taste, save quartz file in screensavers folder and bam.

I got this idea from watching a snowflake screensaver and a question someone asked on this forum about screen burn-in ... :D

Another example:

Q: How do I output my videos to TV on my Mac mini?
    A: DVI-Video output cable, available at Apple store.

I had a need in each case, and figuring out how to do it in OS X = cool thing to do in OS X :)
    It sounds easy, and it is, thanks to the intuitiveness mad jew mentioned.
  7. richyfp macrumors member

Apr 13, 2004