Cool things about 10.3 Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by tomf87, Apr 28, 2004.

1. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I just put 10.3 Server on my Powerbook and iMac and I'm loving this!

The entire administration portion of this is a breeze, but I want to know some tips and tricks one can do with OS X Server. Anyone have any?

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Netboot. You can create a bootable image that remote computers can, well, boot off of. We do it at work, because customers like to delete demo files, programs, and system files. Once you reboot, all the damage never occurred to the image, so its all good. Get one of your windows friends over, delete the system file, have them do as much crap as they want to, reboot and it will be perfect. Its like a Macgic trick. RDRR

3. tomf87 thread starter macrumors 65816

tomf87

I was looking at that and am going to get a boot image for some iMac's we have here (the old blueberry kind). How long does it take to boot off the network for a standard basic 10.3 image?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Look here for information on NetBoot. Booting time depends on your NetBoot configuration (diskless/load once at boot), the speed of your Ethernet network, the speed of the computer booting via NetBoot, and the OS being booted (10.3.2 boots slower over NetBoot than 10.3.3, for example).

5. tomf87 thread starter macrumors 65816

tomf87

I was trying to get NetInstall to work, and the blueberry iMac boots and asks for a device to install on, but shows nothing. Am I missing something?

I selected the options for the user to specify the device to install on, but it isn't seeing it.