Cool Ties?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Anyone notice how boring ties are today?

I used to know a teacher with a fish tank tie that had real fish in it.

What happened to all of the cool, other than just fabric pattern, ties?

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

3. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

*cries* You mean plaid is not in?!

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

In my scene? All the way. In general? Not at all.

5. jamone80 macrumors regular

6. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Garcia ties all the way, baby! The best ever, with awesome designs. I've got at least 50 of them. :D :eek: :D

7. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I prefer the mature, stylish look so a nice silk tie with a small pattern on it aposed to a colourful one.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Agreed. Jerry Garcia ties are the best around. Quality, and stylish.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I saw a particularly hideous one the other day... I only noticed it because it was dangling in front of my face as I was sitting on the tube on the way home; I wish I'd taken a pic of it just for this thread.

It was dark blue and had a repeat pattern of a cropped Munch's 'The Scream' all over it. :eek: :D

[​IMG]

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Ties like that have never been in style and never will, however they will forever continue to be worn by Band Teachers and Arby's Managers.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

When you have to wear a tie every day it's mad boring to wear the same old patterned ties all the time. I have like 25 or so ties...you gotta have a few fun ones as well. They're never in style, but being in style every day is boring as hell.

I've got a spongebob tie, a map of napa valley, a starmap, a tie with strips of film all over it and a few other ones. In addition I have a bunch of very nice patterned ties that I've picked up over the years, a couple versaces, some really nice ones that I found at a TieRack in the airport ( :D ) and several others like that. They're nice, but no fun day to day. :cool:

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Maybe you come from a very conservative part of the USA, but here in the UK, that would be a very very safe tie. It only has two colours, which are plain black and white, and a regular pattern after all.

I wouldn't be suprised to see a bank manager wearing that - it'd be his idea of a bit of gentle humour safe for the most formal environment.

I remember when I was at school, each year at the christmas church concert, which was the most formal part of the school calender, the teachers would competite with each other in a sweepstake to wear the most wild or clashing tie, winner takes all.

In my last year at school, the headmaster issued a notice banning the teachers from wearing wild ties to the concert. The teachers weren't happy, but decided to go ahead with the sweepstake, just a bit more discreetly this time round.

Come the moment of the Head's grand speech, up the lectern he climbed, wearing a big grin and a tie with dayglow luminious fish swimming across it. Despite much protest regarding underhanded foul play and abuses of power, he gleefully collected his winnings that evening.

That was over 15 years ago. It's a bit late to be worrying that somehow your tie is marking you as a rebel.

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I have a couple of really cool neckties... one is from Nancy Hammond Designs in Annapolis (now out of business)... it's red with black and green stripes and has Black Labradors running across it (labs were Nancy's trademark). The other is a $100+ necktie that my Mom got at some museum (MoMA, I think)... it's a sort of paisley pattern, but the silk is done in such a way that the tie looks holographic (it really plays with the light).

14. Lau Guest

That is just brilliant! :D

15. jamone80 macrumors regular

actually no, i'm not conservative at all. i just couldnt bring myself to "wear" any musical instrument on myself, let along with a suit. but your experiences with ties are well taken. :)

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

As a new teacher at high school, I've been wearing ties most days this year. I'm fairly conservative with my tastes. But, I always get compliments with my choices. I do like the Garcia ties so I'm going to have to check that out!

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's got to be Thomas Pink - simple and stylish, just like me! (Stop laughing at the back ;) )

Edit: they censored sni*gering - wtf??

18. Hummer thread starter macrumors 65816

Hummer

Isn't it snickering? :p

19. Lau Guest

Oh, I have huge issues with this. I sn!gger all the time, and MacRumors had censored me, and now I have to find other ways to express my childish chuckles...

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If it was this one I agree with your assessment [​IMG]

However, not all art based ties are hideous.

Apart from my Jerry Garcia ties (definite favorites!) one of my favorite ties is one I got from an Escher exhibit which I tend to wear to more "geeky" events...

I also have a few subtle ties from the WB store that have Bugs of Daffy on them which I like.

B

21. iGav macrumors G3

A cool tie??? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo such thing.

22. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I dunno, my old IT teacher had a Eiffel Tower tie, it was awesome.

[​IMG]

Kinda like that but more modern

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think I have all of 2 "novelty" ties. One was from when I was about 10 - it had Garfield on it. The other had music notes in the background and a picture of a clarinet - I wore it for band related things.

All the rest of mine are just patterned ones, but at least kind of funky (well I think so anyway).

24. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

'Snickering' sounds like something rude that involves a chocolate bar :eek: ;)

I'll stick with sn*ggering, thank you very much! :p