Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Wow, i have the EXACT SAME ISSUE that i have! Your Coolbook is behaving exactly like mine! Doesn't do anything when i click set/save, and it's WAY hotter. I have a MBA Mid 2009.
I emailed the dev too.
Have you got a response?

I haven't gotten a response yet. :(

Mungas

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
Can the OP please resend the email to the CoolBook support?
I need the registration information to be able to help you.

/Magnus Lundholm

lucashungaro

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
São Paulo, Brazil
Here is my config (the same for Battery and Adapter). Since I got the maximum frequency with the minimum voltage, I didn't bother adding lower pairs. Been using the Air this way for 6 months, it's much cooler (especially with Flash and games) and silent. :)

mba1.tiff

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Update: I ended up just buying a new license and everything is working great now.

I've got 1 voltage setting for adapter/battery because I was able to set the maximum frequency at the lowest voltage (0.9250 V), which is the best pair since it'd be pointless to have lower frequencies at the lowest voltage (0.9250 V).

NOTES: This is on a 13", 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD MBA.

Here's my setup:
BJGdJ.png
OvxjU.png

I can't really tell so far if it's running cooler, but I think that it is. I will do further testing tomorrow.

Also, what is the lowest voltage that your version of CoolBook is letting you go down to and what version of CoolBook are you running? I'm running CoolBook 2.22 and it's updated to the latest version and everything and the lowest voltage I can set for any frequency is 0.9250 V, but in other posts, I see other users that are able to set theirs to 0.8750 V, although the other user is using CoolBook 2.16. Why am I not able to set my voltages down to 0.8750 V? Is it because CoolBook's voltages were changed sometime in between version 2.16 and 2.22?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I am curious SR71, is it running cooler? by how much? Have you noticed a increase in battery life between charges? For the cost of a pack of smokes in NY, was it worth it?

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I am curious SR71, is it running cooler? by how much? Have you noticed a increase in battery life between charges? For the cost of a pack of smokes in NY, was it worth it?

Been running much cooler and much longer. Getting around ~1 hour more battery life and it runs much cooler. Before CoolBook when I played Portal 2 for 45 mins, the CPU Temp would be at 180° and now it get's to 150° - 165° at the most. Significantly cooler than before.

I definitely think it was worth it. :)

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Hi I have a 11.6 mba and have had a problem with fan noise. I bought coolbook for this and posted in the relevant forum for help with how to set it up but got no constructive response. I wondered if anyone could suggest what settings to use. I am not bothered about any other issue but fan noise which I assume is heat related. For some reason it is worse when I am charging? Thanks.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Hi I have a 11.6 mba and have had a problem with fan noise. I bought coolbook for this and posted in the relevant forum for help with how to set it up but got no constructive response. I wondered if anyone could suggest what settings to use. I am not bothered about any other issue but fan noise which I assume is heat related. For some reason it is worse when I am charging? Thanks.

What you should try to go for is the highest frequency (so in your case the highest is 1.4GHz (unless you've got the ultimate 11" MBA which would cause your highest frequency to be 1.6GHz, but it would be displayed as 1604 or something like that), but it will be displayed as 1406MHz (or something like that). Once you've chosen the highest frequency, it's time to choose your voltages. When you select a frequency (as you did before), it will automatically set to its default voltage. We are going to change this. Here's a few screenshots that I took to help explain the process. In the screenshots this is being done on a 13", 4GB, 128GB SSD MacBook Air, so it will have different voltages and different frequencies than your 11" MacBook Air.

Screenshots:

muiSZ.jpg

9dM7P.jpg

aPGkM.jpg

9OdF5.jpg

Also, if you want, you can delete all the other voltages that you've set if you've been able to use a really low voltage for all of your frequencies, which is what I did, hence why I only have one frequency for Adapter and Battery.

I hope I was of help! If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I'll be happy to help.

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Hi, Thanks for all the info. Its very helpful. I have just a couple of questions.

I am not sure what an 'ultimate' is, my mba is 1.6 ghz and 4gb and running 10.6.7 os x. So although ultimate was never mentioned when I bought it I presume it is, so I have set the frequency to 1600 as you say, and 1600 MHz is displayed in coolbook.

When you say I need to test every voltage on the list with the frequency, what do I do to test it and how will I know when i get the best pairing? The range on mine is 1.0125 to 0.9000.

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Last edited:

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Hi, Thanks for all the info. Its very helpful. I have just a couple of questions.

I am not sure what an 'ultimate' is, my mba is 1.6 ghz and 4gb and running 10.6.7 os x. So although ultimate was never mentioned when I bought it I presume it is, so I have set the frequency to 1600 as you say, and 1600 MHz is displayed in coolbook.

When you say I need to test every voltage on the list with the frequency, what do I do to test it and how will I know when i get the best pairing? The range on mine is 1.0125 to 0.9000.

Sorry for all the questions!!!

I'm happy to answer your questions. ;) An ultimate MBA is a MBA with all the top specs. So, for example, if you have the 11", 1.6GHz, 4GB, 128GB SSD MBA, that's the ultimate version.

Now, on how to test, all you need to do is click the "Set" button when you select a new voltage and then click the "Save" button and it'll ask you to run a short test. Run it and if your MBA doesn't crash, move on to the next voltage and do the same thing. Just keep doing that until you reach the lowest voltage. :)

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, as I am happy to help. :)

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Thank you. I now know mine is an ultimate!!! I will follow your instructions and report back.

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
When I am testing should I also change my battery settings to match the adapter settings? Also the settings in the bottom left box always revert to the original settings, is that ok? Thanks.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
When I am testing should I also change my battery settings to match the adapter settings? Also the settings in the bottom left box always revert to the original settings, is that ok? Thanks.

Yes you should make sure they match. Once you've tested the highest frequency with the lowest voltage that you can possibly get, you must then check the box that says "CoolBook Active" and then restart your Mac. After that, your settings should stick and the new voltage should be displayed in the bottom left box.

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
right, doesnt seem to be any different???
I have tested it on every voltage with 1.6. I cleared the previous ones before I set the next. I had both actives unchecked. My lowest was 0.9000 and there was no problem so I saved it, checked coolbook active, the mac restarted and throttle was automatically checked.

It is still the same temperature and the fan is still whirring.

Have I done something wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
right, doesnt seem to be any different???
I have tested it on every voltage with 1.6. I cleared the previous ones before I set the next. I had both actives unchecked. My lowest was 0.9000 and there was no problem so I saved it, checked coolbook active, the mac restarted and throttle was automatically checked.

It is still the same temperature and the fan is still whirring.

Have I done something wrong?

Thanks.

Hmm, does it say the voltage has changed to your settings? Also, are you running the latest version of CoolBook (Version 2.22)? You can check by going to "About CoolBook".

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
yes its 2.22.

Have attached a screenshot of the settings.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-04 at 01.33.38.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-04 at 01.33.38.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 70

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Could you tell me what acceptable temperature and fan rpm would be please?

My fan is still noisy and the temperature feels the same, if not slightly higher???

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Could you tell me what acceptable temperature and fan rpm would be please?

My fan is still noisy and the temperature feels the same, if not slightly higher???

Hmm, maybe it's just that you're running intensive programs without realizing it or maybe something is using up a lot of your CPU and you aren't realizing it.

Can you post a screenshot of your Activity Monitor showing "All Processes" and the "CPU" tab selected? Thanks in advance. :)

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
I have attached activity monitor and also a log of the activity today. I did this as it kept crashing. I then uninstalled coolbook, as per log.

I have noticed previously that the chrome shockwave flash is quite high. I am also a bit shocked at the short battery life.

I've never checked anything like this before, just assumed I had a quality machine !!!

Attachments

• actmon.png
    actmon.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 110
  • log.jpg
    log.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 72

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I have attached activity monitor and also a log of the activity today. I did this as it kept crashing. I then uninstalled coolbook, as per log.

I have noticed previously that the chrome shockwave flash is quite high. I am also a bit shocked at the short battery life.

I've never checked anything like this before, just assumed I had a quality machine !!!

Your voltages in CoolBook were set to low, which is why your Mac was crashing, and I'd say that the short battery life is because of the shockwave flash that is using a lot of your CPU. Have you tried using Safari or Firefox? Try using both of those (each for one day, 2 days total) to see if there is any difference. In 2 days, report back with your findings so we can further look into your problem.

Hope this helps.

vix2000

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I have bought a program called flash frozen which disables flash when it uses over 30% cpu. So far this is working ok. I have no crashes tonight which I assume is because I uninstalled coolbooks. I stopped using firefox because on another thread I was told it was too cou intensive and was slowing things down, I can't get on with safari as I really need my bookmarks bar icons and as yet it isn't possible in safari. I have always liked firefox and will try that and post back. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.