Coolest 8 year old. EVER.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Dec 13, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't know what it is, but whenever I see a kid talking about current events, it makes my spine tingle.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Cute. The only time I'd ever catch O'Reilly is on the radio. And I usually channel hop to find some hip-hop if I do. I'm sure if I were home, I'd just play video games instead.

4. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Im sorry but the whole religion thing she said sort of offened me....... Unless she was saying good things about religion it some 8 year old talk!

Messed up parents!

5. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

She'll feel like an idiot 10 years from now. I know I would.

6. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I thought that it was pretty funny but what is funnier still are all the responses that have been posted to this video - a lot of people seem to believe that these are the ideas of the 8 year old in question

This girl doesn't hate anyone nor do i think she has given any thought to what she is saying. She has however, probably been pushed into acting from an early age.

I love all the hateful christians in the talk back, oh the delicious irony.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I don't condone the use of little kids for such type of things but I completely, 100% agree with what she was made to say.

Political forums, anyone?

irmongoose

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I hate when religion is blamed for everything. It's not religion, it's people who become fanatics. Atheist fanatics have caused lots of damage, too.

But I also must say I hate Bill O'Reilly. I can't resist and opportunity to say so. Who can? :p

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Baffling that empathy and religion would be proposed as mutually exclusive.

Tho jessica. is right -- nice gloves.

11. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Arg the religious conservatives making comments annoy me so much.... their comments just don't make sense most of the time...

grrr...

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Wow. That was incredibly annoying.

As for the substance, I'm inclined, somewhat, to agree that blaming religion for causing violence is pretty inaccurate. In the eras usually cited, religion is almost synonymous with society, and correlated with power and politics. Of course it was part of what led to violence. It was part of what led to society acting in most of the ways it did.

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Scripted by an (adult, parent) no doubt. That's almost as pathetic as parents who push their kids in to beauty contests, in a converse sort of way. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings man has ordained straw.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can't take this as seriously or be as offended as some apparently are. That clip is a small work of genius.

Yes, it was obviously written by an adult. I'm sure the chop-chop cutting helped the little girl remember and deliver her lines tremendously. That said, wisdom coming from the lips of little kids has always been appealing -- if Charles Schulz were still alive, he'd confirm that.

And I happen to agree with a lot of what that little girl said. She's quite a little performer, too. Kid's got a good future in acting, if she wants to pursue it.

Thanks for sharing.

15. Judo macrumors regular

Any examples?

Not saying you're wrong. Just, I haven't heard of people doing bad things in the name of Atheism.

16. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Can you name any Atheists who've come to power on a platform of Atheism?

One could say Stalin, but he was really a Communist, not an Atheist, and he certainly wasn't acting in the name of Atheism.

17. Judo macrumors regular

I never really thought about that miloblithe.

Do people who seek power use religion to help them in their personal cause? Is that even more damning for religion?

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It sort of is, but it sort of isn't. On some level, whatever it is that people believe, those seeking political power can exploit it. It's not really religion's fault inherently that people exploit it. It's not exactly religion's fault that when in control, religious authority can be corrupt.

It's not exactly to religion's credit either though...

19. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I was actually thinking of Stalin as the prime example. I didn't say anyone had come to power in the name of atheism, just that atheists can become fanatics, too. Any idea, whether it be something like Christianity or something like Communism, can be distorted into fanaticism.

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Sort of, but usually when one uses an adjective to describe something like "___ fanatic", one uses the most accurate and important adjective. You could also describe Stalin as a Georgian fanatic, mustached fanatic (OK, I'm being silly)...

I wouldn't even really call him a Communist fanatic. He was really a Stalin fanatic. Atheism wasn't really his key attribute, if you see what I'm saying.

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm not saying atheism was his key attribute. That's not at all what I'm getting at. He was a fanatic. He went to extremes. Communism itself is not evil, but Stalin used it for evil. In the same way, religion itself is not evil, but fanatics make it evil. So it doesn't make sense when people attack religion just because some followers do bad things. They should attack those specific people.

My main point was that religion isn't the only idea that can be distorted for evil. Other ideas can be distorted for evil without religion ever being involved. You shouldn't just make a blanket condemnation of religion. People who distort noble ideas should be the ones condemned.

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Thomas, you have the right slant. I'll lighten up. The girl does have talent for the kvetsh. It just hits one of my buttons (i.e. the exploitation thing) where sponsors prop up kid's faces to further their cause. The innocence is upstaged by the cheesy backdrop of motive. She's cool.

25. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

People who seek power will find anyway they can to get it and it is often very easy to appeal to a specific group in order to maximise your number of votes. Hitler rallied the people with anti-semitism, he didn't so much promote christianity as knock another another religious group and blame them for teh nation's woes.

More recently in the US it is easy to see how politicians who pander to Christian pressure groups or who openly flaunt their own beliefs can pick up easy votes. This is so bad that one of the people in charge of the family planning budget (Erik Keroack) is openly opposed to abortion and contraception , even within marriage. (source: Anti-Abortion Doctore now heads family planning service, BMJ).