Cooling Pad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheBobcat, Nov 15, 2006.

1. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a USB 2 hub (powered) and I came across this combo USB 2 hub and cooling pad. I was wondering if the cooling pads really assist anything. My MBP has been running really hot on my desk, but from what I gathered that was normal. Is this just a matter of perceived benefit?

Thanks!

Bobcat

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

A couple of family members have the Targus, and they're very happy with them. The fans are very very quiet. They don't have the USB Hub version, but I can't see it being any different.

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

These things work. The idea is to get the hot air away from the heat source and move cooler air towards it. This is the same way fans cool your body. Our body heats up the air around us, moving this air away lets us heat up this new cool air and thus removes heat from our body (same idea as why wind makes you colder in the winter).

They work in theory and in practice.

4. TheBobcat thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Thanks, I was wondering about the fan noise too.

5. TheBobcat thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Thanks, I guess I'll get it then. It doesn't sound like its a waste, plus since it's a combo i can kill two birds with one cooling pad.

6. darrengreer macrumors regular

I purchased the Antec Cooling Pad. See: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=239997

I can tell you that it makes a huge difference on the surface temperature of the machine, under-side and top-side. The internal CPU temperature was effected by about 10 degrees (cooler of course).

The fan noise is noticeable in the Antec model, especially on the higher setting. Not enough where it bothers me, but I wouldn't run it during any recording sessions.

7. animenick65 macrumors 6502

The targus one is too expensive. Its made of cheap plastic. It works well though.