coomunication device? - internet connect

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BBasdas, Dec 13, 2006.

1. BBasdas macrumors member

BBasdas

Hey, I needed to use dial up for a while to connect to internet. now that i am back to ethernet, everything seems to work but I have a problem with entourage. when i want to send/recieve emails, little Internet Connect window pops, and says
    "the selected communication device does not exist. Please verify your settings and try again"
    I assume this is something simple that i dont see. When I go to Network on System Prefs the built in ethernet works fine. My email is a UCLA account from school and double checked the setting are right as well.
    please let me know if you have a clue. thanks! much appreciated.
    Begum
    (macbookpro 15.4")

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Do you still have the internal modem connection information filled out in the Network Preferences? Erase everything there or store it under a different Location apart from 'Automatic Location' if you'll ever need it again. Use the drop down menu to check your network port configurations. A mac will usually attempt to use the modem first or detect a modem connection before trying Ethernet. You can reorganize this list to make Ethernet first, but you shouldn't have to do that. Erasing any info associated with the modem connection, or going into the app "Internet Connect" and getting rid of the Main Number should fix it for you.

If not, back up anything you need in Entourage, find its .plist file, and drag it to the desktop from your ~Library folder (the one in your home directory).

3. BBasdas thread starter macrumors member

BBasdas