Coping A Disc -- Legal Purposes of course!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bobber205, Dec 16, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

My brother and I want to play Warcraft III together LAN style.

Thing is we don't have to discs.

I know that going into disk utility, making an image, then burning that onto a CD will do it, I just want to make sure before I waste a CD.

Thanks. :D

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Your proceedure is likely to work unless the game checks s/n number of other clients within the LAN based game.

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

This is not illegal and he was not asking if it was illegal. There may be some sort of copy protection. If there is, disk utility should alert you BEFORE it starts burning, so you will not lose a disc (which only costs a penny anyway:p ). If you copy it, I've seen Starcraft be played over a network with only one serial. I'd assume Warcraft could do the same. You'll probably find instructions somewhere on Blizzard's website.

4. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

We used to have a copy that worked this way... but my bro lost it. The thing is another friend of mine made the disc because I didn't even have a cd burner at the time. :eek:

5. Savings macrumors member

Couldn't you try running it off the disc image first to see if it works? I know that Age of Empires/Myth and a bunch of other mac games run perfectly fine off disc images (perfect for taking on vacation on a laptop without needing to carry around CDs.)

6. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Well. The disc comes up in OS X like the real deal, background image and everything. But XP refuses to see it.... big surprise. :rolleyes:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now I'm assuming this isn't illegal... it seems kind of sketchy to me that if you could do this legally, there would be copy protection involved. :rolleyes:

But....

This may be because you didn't image the whole CD, but rather imaged the MacOS partition. This is a problem a lot of times on "dual" Windows/Mac discs... You may need a program specifically designed for disc copying... Perhaps Toast on the Mac if you have it or Alcohol 120% on the PC?

8. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

If you have a copy that works with XP, make a copy with the burner on the windows machine and it should work.

9. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Dur. I should have thought of that. Thanks though. :D I appreciate the advice.