Cops and my new car

Discussion in 'Community' started by carbonmotion, Jun 4, 2004.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Last week I returned my leased VW Jetta VR6 and leased out a Pontiac GTO which is a clone of the australian Holden....

Now I got this one buddy who also bought a '04 Honda s2000 a month earlier and he laughed that I got an "American" sports car. Well as it turns out, (both cars costing $32,000 even) my "American" GTO's 5.7 Litre V8 350HP engine beats his 2.2liter I4 VTEC 240HP engine. At first he didn't believe it when we raced in this deserted parking lost stretch. So we did it three times, when I beat him all three times he just left. Granted to some the GTO's styling may be a bit bland, I can see where they are coming from but I like the exterior and really like the color matched interior. Anyways, optimally I would've liked to have waited for the 05 Mustang to come out, but due to time contraints I think this car was the next best thing. S2000...laff. No, seriously though, the s2000 is a very nice sports coupe, its just that it's slower than my Holden -clone.

Oh yeah... got pulled over twice in a week since getting this car :eek: :mad: ...my fault though, I gotta start watching my lead foot.

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    You realise that all you've proven is that using the same essential V8 motor for multiple decades results in large horsepower production.

But seriously, I-4 vs a V8... come on...

3. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I know, I know... but I was going for 'what you can get for the price tag' perspective. And this friend I have talks so much trash about every sports coupe except the s2000, so it feels good to finally stuff it in his face. Since my dad works for GM, I got my GTO for uber uber cheap because of employee discount (A-PLAN) so my GTO was alot cheaper than his s2k.

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

yeah, but do a slolom course and the honda will probably spank your GTO. Different cars do different things well. I mean, if its just about pure straigthawat speed, you can get faster cars for less money. Personally I'd rather have the s2000 because it appeals to be sense of style more, but not because its a better car. The GTO's got a lot going for it though. I'm interested to see the next iteration of it looks like.

a Subaru WRX STI may well spank you both with its 300 horsepower horizonatally opposed 2.5 liter 4 cylinder and cost the same or less. Certainly would on a dirt track of something like that. But what does that prove. Different cars for different folks, who have different tastes and different requirements.

5. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I love the STI, Lancer Evo, and the R32! For me, small cars w/ lots of HP and AWD are the most fun. But that's just me.

6. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Well My friend is this die hard honda s2000 fan and thinks its the fastest track car in on earth. He wants a rematch when I get mine supercharged he gets his supercharged... He's so cocky cause he smokes Mustang GTs and thinks he's car is the **** on the track. To be beaten by my family sedan... hehehe

7. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I would think you should be able to beat him every time, at least in a straight line. You have more HP and more torque (365 lb ft vs. 162!) and your max torque is available at a lower RPM.

I'm sure he's thinking he has a big weight advantage but you're only giving up about 900 lbs.

GTO power-to-weight ratio = 3725 / 350 = 10.6:1
    S2K " " " " = 2835 / 240 = 11.8:1

:D

8. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Mustang GTs only run 14's...

Nothing great there, heh.

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

I have this video clip of a Civic Si hatchback taking down a Viper in a 1/4 mile.. it was rather funny... if i can find it, ill post it up.

10. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Buzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :p

11. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I think I saw that! Didn't the Civic have nitrous or something?

12. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Well, there is no way it did it NA :p

13. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

I believe the Civic in the least a Turbo, but i will say that you can clearly hear the Viper miss 2nd gear, so that did help ALOT.

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

uhh... :confused:

15. dopefiend macrumors 6502

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Your 5.7Ltr V8 engine will be helping to destroy the planet much more than your friends 2.2Ltr I-4. Why the hell does that thing need such a big engine to produce just 350BHP? TVR can pull 350BHP out of the bag with a 3.6Ltr (the "T350"), BMW, 333BHP from 3.2Ltr (the "M3"), or 395 from 4.9Ltr (the "M5"), and the list goes on. I've never understood why American cars have to have a massive engine to get any power, is no one capable of tuning cars over there??? :rolleyes:

17. dopefiend macrumors 6502

I think everyone here will find it funny that the GTO gets better gas mileage than any of the cars edesignuk listed even with the larger displacement :p

edit: also, horsepower isn't everything, look at the torque of those other cars ;)

18. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Ohhhhh, owned.

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Really? :eek: If so then count me as being told off! But, it always seems to me that in general American cars always just have bigger engines to get their power, have crap MPG, and rarely is anything refined. Anyway, I;m gonna stop digging holes for myself now...:)

20. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Common myths started by Anti-American car peoples :p

21. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

22. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Granted the big 3 let the ball drip all through the late 90's, but being a multi-billion dollar combined industry they're trying to make a competative comeback... its a hard, uphill struggle, but some of the new products are pretty impressive and not at all inferior to their german or japenese counterparts. The Chrysler M300 or the New for F150... In fact I have a friend that works for JD Power which ranks car quality... Among luxury cars, Lincoln LS is bottom of the bin for the price... however Caddy CTS is better the BMW 5 and Audi and MB E in both ride quality and long-term duribility. ...you can find this by doingthe jd power web compare thing yourself. Lastly, Lexus is at the top on nearly all of its products.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's me! TVR baby, yeah! :d :p

:)

24. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

I think everyone will also find it funny that the M3 is listed at 16/24 MPG, and the GTO is listed at 16/21 MPG.

25. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

that new Chrysler is SOoOoOOoooOooooo.... fugly. IMO... my coworker just got one, and most of us are laughing at her behind her back... but she likes it.. so we dont say anything directly to her.