Cops use Camo

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Kwyjibo, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Its just a knee jerk reaction to the huge accident they had in the region earlier this year. The thing is, as long as cars can go faster than the posted speed limit, people will drive faster. So I don't think anyone should be upset for getting caught - you know if you're speeding and you always run the risk of getting a ticket. It being unfair is silly.

3. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I see no difference here between our CHP officers hiding behind a bush and checking for people violating the carpool onramp lanes. People just love to whine and keep the status quo
  4. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    use speed cameras

I think this is a bad solution. A much better one is to install speed cameras along the road. This would signifcantly reduce the danger to the police and the people that get pulled over. It is dangerous to be parked on the side of a major freeway like that. Plus, the cameras would be able to catch a higher percentage of speeders. For good measure, red light cameras would be a good thing too.

Any of you that want to complain that people should be able to speed need to stop right there. If you want to speed then do it, just be ready to accept responsibility when you get a ticket. Speed limits are set for a reason. Excessive speed is a major cause of accidents and a major factor in increasing the chances an accident will be fatal.
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hey if u speed u get fined simple as that

doesnt matter how u get caught
  6. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    camera speed traps are easier to defeat in court, and once you know it's there, they're useless.
  7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
  8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

Red light cameras do not cause a significant decrease in redlight running, but they are a very nice revenue stream. If you want to decrease redlight running extend the length of the yellow by a small amount. Of course, I guess the chosen course of action depends on if you going for safety or $$$.

9. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    Anyone else find it odd that the two officers that put this system in place are named Holmes and Watson? A perfect match!

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Speed cameras do not work!

We have thousands here in London alone and the rate of decrease in fatal or serious accedents has slowed noticably since the Police started relying on cameras instead of marked patrols. A speed camera does not care if you are weaving from lane to lane. It does not care if you are tailgating. It does not care if you are drunk. All it cares about is how fast you are going. They also do nothing if a person is going very slowly on a fast road (which is also really dangerous). What we need are more trafic police.
  11. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2004
    British police might catch someone if they start using half decent cars. In the summer, there's one or two Vauxhall police cars on the side of the road that have caught on fire after a car chase or something. I have recently seen some BMW cops cars though.
  12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    The article mentions something about how people will stop caring about it a little after this is implemented as one of the reasons this won't work. Well if they forget, the traffic ticket will remind them, I say.

Their excuses for disliking this tactic are dumb. "If I see someone in camoflage aiming something at me, I'd probably call the cops"? Is that seriously his excuse? Knowing now that police do wear camoflage, you'd think he'd put 2 and 2 together. There aren't too many other people wearing camoflage.

Just another excuse given by someone who knows he speeds too much and knows he'll get caught through this method. :rolleyes:
  13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    why are they useless? if you know they're there and you slow down, they have done their job perfectly, by PREVENTING you and everybody else driving by from speeding, rather than punishing just a few after the fact.

I agree with a previous poster that this is just a revenue-maker and/or fits with the rambo-mentality that too many PD exhibit.

If the goal is (as should be) to promote safety, then multiple, highly visible and advertized speeding stations are going to be a lot more effective in keeping speed (and other traffic misbehaviour) down.

And in those cases when officers really do need a fast ride, than we should make sure there are a few more of these around...

14. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    This reminds me of my senior trip through Canada in which we traveled 12 hrs in a Ford Windstar, maxing that puppy out at 113 mph (birds on the road become an obstacle). We saw not one cop on our 12 hr journey there but we were stuck behind one for 2 hrs on the way back; that sure hurt our time.
  15. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    around here they have a tactic where an undercover police officer will be dressed as say a construction worker or a mere pedestrian on the side of the road and if they spot a speeder they tip off a car unit and the speeder is quickly done in. i say if you speed then you are breaking the law and if you break the law then you deserve the consequences.