Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suckatcomputers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
1st let me apologize for my ignorance but look at my user name.

I just bought a MacBook Pro, my first Apple product. I've been using Windows and PCs (Dell) my entire life.

Anyway, my question is, how do I copy and paste a link to a webpage in an e-mail, so that the recipient receives it as a clickable link? I noticed a lot of people have asked this but none of the solutions work for me except the "Send link", which opens the Mail program my mac came with which I don't use anymore. I use hotmail.

I'm using Firefox but would like to know how to do it in both Firefox and Safari please.

A lot of the answers said that the recipient receives it as a link and won't have to copy and paste it into their web browser, but I sent an e-mail to myself and it didn't work.

In Windows it was so simple and easy by copying and pasting a link, and anything that began with http:// or "www." would send as a clickable link automatically.

Thank you in advance and thank you everybody for I have been using this forum for the past couple months.

Sorry so long but want to be clear.

suckatcomputers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for the reply. It worked! So that would mean I need 2 windows open right? Such a pain! How can I do it so I can just copy and paste from a tab, from an e-mail message, etc. What if I wanted to manually type the website address? Windows would automatically turn it into a link.:)

Also, this method didn't work in Firefox. Firefox? Anybody?

robkat

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Scotland
Thanks for the reply. It worked! So that would mean I need 2 windows open right? Such a pain! How can I do it so I can just copy and paste from a tab, from an e-mail message, etc. What if I wanted to manually type the website address? Windows would automatically turn it into a link.:)

Also, this method didn't work in Firefox. Firefox? Anybody?

cmd+c to copy
cmd+v to paste.
appears as link in email.
Hope this is what you wanted.

suckatcomputers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Haha, I know how to copy and paste. I dont suck that bad!

By "cmd", you mean "command" right?

Yes when I copy and paste, that's exactly what it does... that's the problem I guess. I need it to be AN UNDERLINED, CLICKABLE LINK when I copy and paste or type anything that begins with http:// or www.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
"Send link", which opens the Mail program my mac came with which I don't use anymore. I use hotmail.
You can change this in: mail.app>preferences>composing>send new messages from. In Firefox, copy and paste will work using right click or the command key. And yes, it is a clickable link.

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Here's a fun one if you're using safari. To email a link to the page you're on use the shortcut Command+Shift+i. It will paste the link in a new email if you're using an email program like mail or entourage. Then all you have to do is type the recipient and add a subject.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Does it work by dragging the little "favicon" instead of highlighting the URL?

And sometimes I've noticed that typing a URL doesn't make a clickable link where I'm typing, but in the Sent Message, it does. Maybe that's true all the time.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2013
Haha, I know how to copy and paste. I dont suck that bad!

By "cmd", you mean "command" right?

Yes when I copy and paste, that's exactly what it does... that's the problem I guess. I need it to be AN UNDERLINED, CLICKABLE LINK when I copy and paste or type anything that begins with http:// or www.

Was a solution found for this? I have the same problem. From my internet explorer days, I'm used to copying and pasting a link that automaticaly turns blue and 'live' when I paste into an email, and the same thing happening when I wrote out an address while emailing someone.

Why can't I do the same in Safari?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.