Copy dual-layer DVD to single-layer recordable?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eyeon, Aug 17, 2005.

1. eyeon macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA
    I appologize if there is already a thread on this somewhere -- I did a search and could not find what I was looking for...

Anyway, I have some dual-layer DVDs I would like to copy (bear in mind that these are NOT movies, they are data DVDs) and I don't know how to properly go about doing that. I do not own a dual-layer burner, just a standard superdrive. Is it possible through Toast? Any other programs/suggestions for this?

Thanks in advance.
  2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    What's the data? I'm seeing a "no" on the horizon, but you may be able to compress it (depending on what sort of data)
  3. eyeon thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA
    To explain further, I do not need to "compress" these to fit onto one DVD. It would be fine to copy the data over 2 or 3 DVDs if necessary.

Could I just drag the files from the DVD directly to my HD, and maybe somehow chop it up to fit onto more than one DVD perhaps? Just an idea...
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    As long as you have the HD space, I'd say just set aside ~ 9 GB, copy the entire DL disc to your HD, then open up Toast and start building a new DVD Project. Fill up 4.3 GB's worth of data, burn, and repeat. Just keep track of what data is on which disc I guess. ;)

Hope this helps. :cool:
  5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    I haven't a clue what your trying to split but I assume you need a image split over two dvds.Dmgscissor should be able to do it for you,but keep in mind you'll need the space on the HD to put it back together.I think you could also use hdiutil in Terminal but you'll need to Google for details.I've used the first method and it works but it was some time ago.
  6. belvdr macrumors 601

Aug 15, 2005
    A dual layer disc is nothing more than extra capacity on a disc. You can drag and copy just as you would from a DVD to a CD.